Screwball rotation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
DD has been working with a new PC for the last month and her improvement has been outstanding. One of the first things he changed was her screwball rotation.
She was throwing it counter clockwise and he now has her throwing it clockwise (if that makes sense). She used to complain about pain in her forearm after using the old style rotation for a full game. Now she loves it and it's a better pitch.
Wondering how we missed the boat so long on that.

Nov 8, 2018
Rotation is based on what vantage. From the catchers view or from the pitchers view. I always see things from the pitchers view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Pitchers view.
Good question

From pitchers view counter clockwise is what I understand. Never heard the other way. Then again my dd doesn’t throw it so I’m no expert on it.
When my dd was first starting With lessons 2 years ago they had her throwing screw ball. You know, step out to the left , force that arm into the body and turn your hand like a knob clockwise then flare your arm out to the right. Well. Never made sense. That was the HE method. I heard Bill Hillhouse In a clinic talk about how ridiculous it is to learn 5 different techniques to throw 5 different pitches. Ir simplified everything. One style and small changes in release.
Anyway. Good luck on the screw ball. Great pitch if it’s thrown correctly.

Apr 28, 2014
From pitchers view counter clockwise is what I understand. Never heard the other way. Then again my dd doesn’t throw it so I’m no expert on it.
When my dd was first starting With lessons 2 years ago they had her throwing screw ball. You know, step out to the left , force that arm into the body and turn your hand like a knob clockwise then flare your arm out to the right. Well. Never made sense. That was the HE method. I heard Bill Hillhouse In a clinic talk about how ridiculous it is to learn 5 different techniques to throw 5 different pitches. Ir simplified everything. One style and small changes in release.
Anyway. Good luck on the screw ball. Great pitch if it’s thrown correctly.

Exactly!!
DD was originally taught to do what you are saying... hand like a door knob..
But our new coach is teaching her to throw counter. He said it's more natural and easier on the arm.
Better spin too

Jul 14, 2018
She was throwing it counter clockwise and he now has her throwing it clockwise...

But our new coach is teaching her to throw counter. He said it's more natural and easier on the arm.
Better spin too

Wait, so which is it? For what it's worth DD throws her screw with a clockwise rotation. As an RHP, throwing to a right-handed batter, the ball is spinning towards the hitter. She gets this spin by releasing the ball off of the outside of her index finger. It's nasty paired with an outside change.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
So is the screwball no longer just a myth? (referencing old DFP threads)....and, according to some on here the screwball was simply a failed riseball? Seems like everyone likes to say they've got a screwball (often they'll even say it's the kids favorite pitch. ;-) Hmmm, Ken B, Hillhouse, Java, etc......what say you?

Apr 28, 2014
Her new screwball has her right thumb turning down and in and towards her body..
Her old style had her thumb turning up and away from her body...
Coach said that is an unnatural motion.
Made sense and the pitch is much better

Jun 7, 2016
Hey BT,
Could you do a post on your You Tube showing her "walking thru" (not a walk through"!) the process see I (we) could see what she is doing thru release.
Thanks ,rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez