Scoring question - bunt with runner at third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
Laying a bunt down with a runner in scoring position is NOT the same as a 4-3 ground out. Not even close. One is done intentionally, the other by accident. There is no caveat for the runner hesitating. None.

If you think all ground balls to the right side with a runner at 3rd base are simply accidents, then I can't argue the point with you or much else about game.

Ever hear of hitting behind the runner?

Are all fly balls with a runner on 3rd and less than two outs accidents as well? I guess in your scorebook there must not be any such thing as a sacrifice fly.

Good gracious.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Not even close to the same thing. For your information and education.

Sacrifice:
Credit given to a batter who, with less than two outs, advances one or more
runners by bunting or slapping and is called out at first base or would have been called
out had no error occurred.

https://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf

There's no caveat for look-backs, fakes, or intervention by little green men from Mars.

This!

The only way someone can even make an argument for this being anything but a sac is when they start changing what happened. What if it was a ground out? It wasn't! What if it was a stolen base? It wasn't! What if we just scored the play OP asked about?

Girl bunts to sacrifice... bunter is out, runner advances. Text book def of sacrifice.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If you think all ground balls to the right side with a runner at 3rd base are simply accidents, then I can't argue the point with you or much else about game.

Ever hear of hitting behind the runner?

Are all fly balls with a runner on 3rd and less than two outs accidents as well? I guess in your scorebook there must not be any such thing as a sacrifice fly.

Good gracious.

An intentional "ground ball sacrifice" to 2B. Lol...I can't discuss anything with someone who doesn't understand or simply makes up their own scoring conventions. Good gracious.

Feb 12, 2014
An intentional "ground ball sacrifice" to 2B. Lol...I can't discuss anything with someone who doesn't understand or simply makes up their own scoring conventions. Good gracious.

Yeah, hitting behind the runner happens all the time. Situational hitting is a pretty big part of the game at higher levels. And, no, those aren't scored as sacrifices which is the entire point unless you are deliberately trying to misread a relatively simple point.

And, you conveniently forgot to address the second part of the post - because you can't.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Not even close to the same thing. For your information and education.

Sacrifice:
Credit given to a batter who, with less than two outs, advances one or more
runners by bunting or slapping and is called out at first base or would have been called
out had no error occurred.

https://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf

There's no caveat for look-backs, fakes, or intervention by little green men from Mars.

Thanks for all the great discussion on this topic.

Let's look at this a different way. In terms of rbi ruling, I found this:

"If a runner scores due to a fielder holding the ball or throwing to a different base, credit the RBI only if the runner was running towards home the whole time. *If she appeared to only be going to 3rd and decided to run home when the throw went to a different base, then score it as a fielder’s choice."

If batter was out at first, this would be ground out and obviously not FC
This would seem to suggest no rbi, and since runner at third wasn't batted in, the advance was not a result of the batter; hence, no sacrifice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah, hitting behind the runner happens all the time. Situational hitting is a pretty big part of the game at higher levels. And, no, those aren't scored as sacrifices which is the entire point unless you are deliberately trying to misread a relatively simple point.

And, you conveniently forgot to address the second part of the post - because you can't.

Yes, situational hitting is a part of the game. However, those hitters aren't trying to make a 4-3 out, they're trying to get a base hit to the right side. A sac is done with the expectation of getting out in order to advance a runner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi