Scoring Question – Errors, RBI’s and Earned Runs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
No outs
Batter One hits a triple
Batter Two hits a ground ball to the third baseman
Third baseman holds runner at third base and throws out Batter One at first base
Runner at third base takes a big lead, but doesn’t break for home
First baseman tries to pick off the runner (Batter One) at third base and makes an errant throw, runner scores
Batter Three batter hits a clean single with the bases empty

Scoring:
Is this an RBI for Batter Three? It was a clean single and if not for the error Batter Three would have batted in the run
If this is an RBI, is the run earned or unearned for the pitcher?

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
no RBI for #3. She did not hit the runner in. "Wouldhave/couldhave" do not count.

no RBI for #2. Play on her was over before the runner broke for home.

I'd score no RBI, error on the throw, no earned run.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Osric I agree up until "no earned run". Because there were no outs, the next batters single would have driven in the run from 3rd making the run earned by the pitcher. The run is unearned only if the run would not otherwise have scored in the inning had the error not occured.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Scoring in youth ball is tough - I keep score for 14U softball and 12U baseball; many times I've been tempted to just write, "E - big mess". This happened in my son's 12U baseball game. My son's team was down by three going into the last inning. One thing after another, now bases are loaded with the winning run at the plate (less than 2 outs). Kid lays down a bunt. Third baseman picks it up, throws to first (when he could have just flipped it to home). Ball sails over F3's head, runner reaches safely, run scores. Kid on 2nd scores as well. Runner on first and the batter scamper along to 3d and second in the pandemonium. F9, who retrieved the errant throw, decides he's going to be a hero and tries to throw out the runner going to 3d. Throw sails over F5's head, F5 retrieves it and tries to throw to F2 to get the runner out as he's now running home. Runner is safe. Now our game winning batter is headed to third. F2 decides to throw to 3d to pick him off - you guessed it - throw goes into left field. Game winning run scores, game over.

Can any RBI be attributed to that last batter? The batter doesn't get a hit, I guess you'd call it a sac bunt in which he reached safely on an E5, in which case I guess the kid would get one RBI? You can't not give an RBI because F5 made a dumb play....?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Scoring in youth ball is tough - I keep score for 14U softball and 12U baseball; many times I've been tempted to just write, "E - big mess". This happened in my son's 12U baseball game. My son's team was down by three going into the last inning. One thing after another, now bases are loaded with the winning run at the plate (less than 2 outs). Kid lays down a bunt. Third baseman picks it up, throws to first (when he could have just flipped it to home). Ball sails over F3's head, runner reaches safely, run scores. Kid on 2nd scores as well. Runner on first and the batter scamper along to 3d and second in the pandemonium. F9, who retrieved the errant throw, decides he's going to be a hero and tries to throw out the runner going to 3d. Throw sails over F5's head, F5 retrieves it and tries to throw to F2 to get the runner out as he's now running home. Runner is safe. Now our game winning batter is headed to third. F2 decides to throw to 3d to pick him off - you guessed it - throw goes into left field. Game winning run scores, game over.

Can any RBI be attributed to that last batter? The batter doesn't get a hit, I guess you'd call it a sac bunt in which he reached safely on an E5, in which case I guess the kid would get one RBI? You can't not give an RBI because F5 made a dumb play....?

Good times!

Sounds like a few errors on that play but totally agree on batter - Sac, E5, 1 RBI.

Though kids mom will probably be talking about that "grand slam" her kid hit at the office.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Here is one my wife and I disagreed on.

Bases loaded. Batter hits a "swinging bunt" Hits the ground and does up pretty high. 3rd base charges and fields the ball and throws home, runner beats the ball and she is safe. I say its a hit and my wife says its a Fielders Choice because the fielder did not throw to first and if she had she might have gotten the batter/runner out. I contend that the correct play is to home and if the runner beats the throw, its a hit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Osric I agree up until "no earned run". Because there were no outs, the next batters single would have driven in the run from 3rd making the run earned by the pitcher. The run is unearned only if the run would not otherwise have scored in the inning had the error not occured.

Agreed, the run is earned. Just to clarify, even though it was a poor throw no error would've been awarded to the firstbaseman if the runner simply retreated safely to 3B and didn't advance on the overthrow i.e., the E3 is for allowing the runner to advance on the overthrow. As such, without the error, the runner still would've been on 3B and would've scored on the next batter's clean hit and the run is considered earned.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good times!

Sounds like a few errors on that play but totally agree on batter - Sac, E5, 1 RBI.

Though kids mom will probably be talking about that "grand slam" her kid hit at the office.

I agree with the scoring, but more accurately it should be bragged about as a "Walk-Off Grand Slam" :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Here is one my wife and I disagreed on.

Bases loaded. Batter hits a "swinging bunt" Hits the ground and does up pretty high. 3rd base charges and fields the ball and throws home, runner beats the ball and she is safe. I say its a hit and my wife says its a Fielders Choice because the fielder did not throw to first and if she had she might have gotten the batter/runner out. I contend that the correct play is to home and if the runner beats the throw, its a hit.
If the 3B could have gotten the girl at 1st with reasonable effort it is a FC.
If it would have taken a very difficult catch and throw to 1B to beat the girl by half a step it is a 1B.
Form what you describe it doesn't sound like it would have been resonable effort to get the girl at 1st so I agree with you, it is a 1B. But without seeing the play in question I conceed your wife could also be right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi