scoring on bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
bunting to score runner on third ?take a lead and wait for fielder to throw to first then go balls out or take lead and the second the bunt is laid down go balls out? young 10u so probabally to young to have the insticts to decide on placement,etc.

Aug 2, 2008
I would not advise telling any young lady to go "balls out".
10-u we would somtimes bunt then score a runner on third when the defense threw to first.Not real sure what your question is either.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
The way I se it, you have 3 choices
1. you wait for release & then go. This should work almost every time @ 10u because throwing arms are weak, but wont work later aswell when girls get better @ throwing.
2 You instruct the runners to get as much lead as possible & then go as soon as they see the ball down & foreward. This works a good % of the time, but the baserunners have to have some instincts
3 suicide squeeze- runner goes on the pitch- most 10u players cant reliably get a piece of the ball, let alone get the bunt down at a high % of the time. This is a fun one at higher ages to win a tight game.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
you wait for release & then go. This should work almost every time @ 10u because throwing arms are weak, but wont work later aswell when girls get better @ throwing.

Agree. At 10U you will score every time waiting for the throw to first (even the slow girls). You need to instruct your players to be aware of the fake throw before they break and practice it.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
bunting to score runner on third take a lead and wait for fielder to throw to first then go balls out or take lead and the sec the bunt is laid down go balls out? young 10u so probabally to young to have the insticts to decide on placement,etc.

Depends on bunt, fielder, and game situation.

Keep in mind that a good team may check the runner, turn and fake the start to throw to first, then quickly turn back around and throw runner out or get her out in a rundown, esp if the bunt is to 3rd baseman.

Oct 19, 2009
bunting to score runner on third ?take a lead and wait for fielder to throw to first then go balls out or take lead and the second the bunt is laid down go balls out? young 10u so probabally to young to have the insticts to decide on placement,etc.

Jerry, is that you? I get what you're asking.

Take the lead and then run as soon as fielder throws to first. Watch the fake though.

Nov 1, 2009
At the higher levels of competitive ball you will find many teams that will look you back throw to first and still have a play at the plate. Once you have a team that can get the bunt down pretty much at will I would suggest more of a squeeze play. The problem is no suggestion will work in every situation so do some scouting and know the teams you are playing and you will know which to employ to score your run.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207