scoring a SB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
when is a stolen base, a stolen base?

Is the criteria that a play by the defense on the Runner must be made?
and otherwise it is just scored as "defensive indifference"?

That's the criteria I use when scoring games,
but just wanted to be sure that is correct.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If there is a runner at 3B, and no throw is made on the advancing runner from 1B, it's not "defensive indifference", it would be recorded as a stolen base. A defensive decision was made to prevent the run from scoring.

Sep 29, 2014
If there is a runner at 3B, and no throw is made on the advancing runner from 1B, it's not "defensive indifference", it would be recorded as a stolen base. A defensive decision was made to prevent the run from scoring.
So for clarification your previous statement would be incorrect. an Undefended Steal would be defensive indifference per the manual above.

Jun 29, 2013
So for clarification your previous statement would be incorrect. an Undefended Steal would be defensive indifference per the manual above.
No, it isn't defensive indifference if there is no throw, you credit the stolen base because the fielding team made the decision to defend home plate by not throwing per Rule 15(b)(4) if I read this correctly.
Defensive indifference only applies if the game is out of hand and the defensive team couldn't care less if a runner is at 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Example: 17-0 game in the third inning with 2 outs and one on.

Jan 8, 2016
Defensive indifference is only referenced in the baseball section. I don’t see it in the softball scoring rules at all.

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry I think I was reading the wrong document that I thought was attached that said Section 5 c When a runner advances soley becuase of the defensive teams indifference (undefended steal) think I pulled up the wrong thing on my phone. Still not sure what the difference would be as long as the team is up by at least three runs and the runner does not represent the tying or go ahead run?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
the way I've always scored it - if the defense allows you to steal the base uncontested, and there is no Runner at 3B, then it's not a Steal.
But based upon the Rules referenced - maybe that isn't correct.

Our Game seems to reward players with stats that are EARNED,
and a freebie base doesn't seem like it should count as a steal.
(My Opinion)

Jan 8, 2016
Sorry I think I was reading the wrong document that I thought was attached that said Section 5 c When a runner advances soley becuase of the defensive teams indifference (undefended steal) think I pulled up the wrong thing on my phone. Still not sure what the difference would be as long as the team is up by at least three runs and the runner does not represent the tying or go ahead run?

You’re looking at the baseball section, softball scoring rules start on page 8, stolen bases addressed on page 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13