scoring a SB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The softball rules don't make reference to "defensive indifference". Hmmm...I just learned something new.

Mar 13, 2010
Intresting because in Australia defensive indifference makes it not a steal. (We score it as AS, it allowed steal)

If a throw is wild and the batter would have been out it’s also an WT on the catcher.

Nov 18, 2015
The softball rules don't make reference to "defensive indifference". Hmmm...I just learned something new.
But does it apply to USSSA or USA? USSSA (and the 2018 Clarification) doesn't make reference to indifference or how to score it - I didn't see any reference in the USSSA pdf about "if not addressed here, [OBR, NFHS, NCAA] rules apply". I think LLB defers to OBR - does NCAA or NFHS do anything similar?

Maybe the run-rule in softball negates the frequency where defensive indifference would come into play? Does NCAA Baseball play the full 9 regardless of score?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
To me defensive indifference is stupid. Just because the defense doesn't defend my action doesn't mean it didn't happen. If a fast runner gets a great jump and the catcher decides not to throw, why doesn't the runner deserve a SB?

Nov 18, 2015
BD - Indifference means the defense doesn't care, not that the defense knows they can't get an out.

In baseball, DI would occur when the team in the field is up by x runs (let's say 8), it's (usually) later in the game, and that runner at 1B is pretty meaningless. So 1B is playing behind the runner (not holding him on), the runner (let's call him B. Colon) gets an extra big lead, and then takes off for 2B. He can trip, walk, crawl into 2B, but the catcher could care less. OK - maybe if he trips, they'll throw it down.

Or to use a similar thought process to your post - the runner isn't credited with a STOLEN Base because he never "stole" the base - the defense was basically giving it to him. You could say the runner "took" second, but he didn't "steal" it, which is why baseball scores it as an FC.

To clarify - in your example - it would be a SB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand