Science fair project

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Where I've seen sports type projects fall apart is in not having a clearly measurable/observable conclusion written into the hypothesis and method. With DD, I kept reminding her that anyone else should be able to reproduce the experiment with similar results if it's written clearly and with detail.

It's also good to use a gadget of some kind for repeatability, since people are highly inconsistent.

Just my $/50.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You could do your science project right from this site. Go over to the "hitting technical" side............

Research, analyze, conclude, and stat.

1. How many posts it takes for the thread to go "off topic".
2. How many posts it takes before the first gif.
3. How many different opinions and analysis each gif gets.
4. Count key words individually over a thread.......coil / upper half / lower half / extension / rotation / toe tap
5. Count how many words we don't understand......
6. Count how many times per hour you see the words "high level swing"
7. Percent of posters who agree/disagree on the rotational vs linear argument
8. How many posts before Amy or Sluggers has to lock the thread or someone has to stand in the corner for timeout

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
You could do your science project right from this site. Go over to the "hitting technical" side............

Research, analyze, conclude, and stat.

1. How many posts it takes for the thread to go "off topic".
2. How many posts it takes before the first gif.
3. How many different opinions and analysis each gif gets.
4. Count key words individually over a thread.......coil / upper half / lower half / extension / rotation / toe tap
5. Count how many words we don't understand......
6. Count how many times per hour you see the words "high level swing"
7. Percent of posters who agree/disagree on the rotational vs linear argument
8. How many posts before Amy or Sluggers has to lock the thread or someone has to stand in the corner for timeout

Rofl. This and the rise ball experiment are what I call High Level Experiments, slightly over the head of a 5th grader.

Jul 9, 2010
DD (a pitcher) and her friend (a catcher) did an analysis of control and speed when adding substances to her fingers (licking, grease, tar, Vaseline, powder, etc).

They actually won an award for it - 2nd prize in the county, and got to go to the state fair.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
How about the speed of the ball coming off the bat and the reaction time for a pitcher, 3rd, Short, etc... Just a thought. Not that we really want to know the answer for that - I think we've all seen the occasional pitcher or 3rd base almost get 'taken out'!

Jun 13, 2012
Well.. bat weights might well be interesting, depending on what she's looking to get from it.

If it were my daughter's project, i'd suggest looking at what angle of swing produces the farthest hits. Would take a pretty simple bat swinging rig - for consistency of swings; that can be elevated controllably (I wouldnt think it would be hard or expensive to build, but im pretty handy), a tape measure and a dozen identical balls.

there's some interesting science around the variables that could be explored by a 5th grader. If you make contact at the same point on the ball at every angle, then the distance in the air will vary - but, thats only half - what about the impact of the resistance for the ball rolling on the grass? if it were my DD, i wouldnt tell her about the second part of this at the get go, and see if she figures it out on her own or if she can explain whats happening with it. The data should lead her to it - especially if she decides to measure where the balls contact the ground relative to how far they roll.

From there - once you find the perfect angle, and have a rig that provides the same power to the swing, for fun, i'd strap a few varying bats into the rig and see how the ball flight varies by bat. I dont know that i'd expect a 5th grader to understand why the ball distances changes with bat length / weight given the same power on the swing (especially since Ive encountered far too many adults who dont) - but id expect that understanding the change in data might be useful

Thinking about it, the other one i'd look at - even simpler, get balls of different COR's, drop from consistent height and measure rebound from concrete/asphalt. if you get two balls one 11" one 12" at the same COR do they rebound the same?

Have fun with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g