Schedule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
I got an email last night that my DD's coach is changing two of the tournaments we are scheduled to play in. The issue is that, based on the tournament schedule we agreed to, we simply are not available on the new weekends. One of the new tournaments will require travel in two weeks. The coaches are not pleased with us.

I wonder what other coaches/parents think about this situation, and how you might've handled a similar situation. We agreed to a VERY specific schedule when they invited us to the team and we signed a player/parent contract reflecting that schedule (we did agree to two add'l tournaments to allow for cancelled events). We are trying to keep a decent ball/life balance this year. When I was coaching, if I made a change I would at least keep the weekends the same, as well as stay local (if it was a local tourney to begin with).

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
It's not your fault that they changed the schedule. I don't know any reason why they would be upset with you, especially if its early in the season and they are the ones making the last minute changes. I don't think one player makes or breaks a team or the tournament you play in. It also gives some of the other players more playing time if your daughter was one of the starters. The coaches need to get over it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not sure what age your DD is but you seem defensive. Do not need to be an a** but say no. Our family will not provide reason except we will not be there. If asked we will not provide a reason, it is our family business.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Coaches need to realize there is more to life than softball. You agreed to a schedule and planned around it, good for you. The coach should not be upset at you, he should be thankful to have a player whose parents take such good care of her.

I know my immediate family has planned to go to Atlanta for a softball tournament later this month (my DGD not playing, just her old team). It has been in the planning stages for 2-3 months, reservations already made. In the mean time, my DGD was selected for a new team. Just so happens her new team will practice on that Sunday we are in Atlanta. The coach was told of our plans. He understood and said that it was no problem since it had been planned for so long. For his thoughtfulness and understanding, we are trying to decide to leave early or take two vehicles so we can get her back in time Sunday for practice. I don't know how she will do at practice since it is about a 5 hour, 275 mile trip, but at least she will be there.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
During TB season, I keep weekends open. Last season 1/2 our tournaments were rainouts and we booked the off weekends. Away games requiring reservations shouldn't be added at the last miute or short notice, but you'll have to weigh the importance of your dd being there. So early in the season though, really shouldn't matter.

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the input folks. I feel a little better about our decision. The coach was a little bullish about the whole thing, but I reminded her that she called us and we initially declined the invite to the team b/c of the heavy schedule and she agreed to let us come on for a reduced schedule (still 70ish games) eliminating most of the travel (I have work related issues that prevent me from traveling much without takIng vacation). Thats why the sort of defensive tone.

Still, this is a good coach. I think her expectations need to be adjusted a little tho.

Thanks again!