Say sorry to the pitcher....what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
Unfortunately DD HS coach supports team self policing. Now don't get my wrong I think that is great in most respects until it becomes finger pointing and blame becomes "she, her" which HC never shuts that down. . DD had SS start some "let'em hit, can't afford walks, gotta throw strikes" after she made a costly error that inning. Finally after third out in the dugout SS had few more words of same tone, DD finally had enough looked at SS said "your more than welcome to give it try in the circle" HC jumps in tells DD don't be a smart rear. DD looks at HC I'm not, if it helps the team I'll step aside. HC didn't saY anything else or SS. Rest of team patted DD on the back at some point and in various ways all said well handled. Seen DD more than once after well hit ball look at the dirt aND pat her chest knowing that was on her with fat pitch.

Jun 29, 2013
Heard two variations of this during our last tournament. "Support your Pitcher!" was the chant du jour. When the pitcher goes 3-0 on practically every hitter, it leads to defensive lapses IMO. The good teams do what gabby stated, roll with all mistakes and never blame anyone.

Jul 15, 2015
Pitchers parents need to do two things:
1) teach their child to control what they can control, the least important pitch of the game was the last one, and the most important pitch of the game is the next one.
2) teach their child the difference between an earned and unearned run.

I would add:
3) find a great catcher and take good care of them, lol.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
As a pitcher's dad I see how much work my dd puts in outside of practice. Pitching is like playing another sport with the time commitment. Sure it's frustrating when errors are made, but if the fielder's put in as much time practicing fielding as my dd does practicing pitching I wouldn't care if they made errors. Most of the fielders on our team just show up to team practice and then on game day. I would never expect any girl to apologize. Lord knows my dd has left balls hanging over the plate. Just frustrating watching fielder's stand there all game and get one or two balls hit to them and they either can't field them or they make a bad throw.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately DD HS coach supports team self policing. Now don't get my wrong I think that is great in most respects until it becomes finger pointing and blame becomes "she, her" which HC never shuts that down. . DD had SS start some "let'em hit, can't afford walks, gotta throw strikes" after she made a costly error that inning. Finally after third out in the dugout SS had few more words of same tone, DD finally had enough looked at SS said "your more than welcome to give it try in the circle" HC jumps in tells DD don't be a smart rear. DD looks at HC I'm not, if it helps the team I'll step aside. HC didn't saY anything else or SS. Rest of team patted DD on the back at some point and in various ways all said well handled. Seen DD more than once after well hit ball look at the dirt aND pat her chest knowing that was on her with fat pitch.

Ultimately softball is a team sport. Every player on the field will have opportunities to impact the game, both positively and negatively. It is how they handle those situations that show their true character. I absolutely love the phrase I bolded above. This shows accountability, a trait that seems to be harder and harder to find these days. If you make a mistake, own it. Then forget about it and move on. Do your best to learn from it and don't make the same mistake again. If a teammate makes a mistake, pick them up and have their back. Finger pointing and blaming should not be tolerated.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As a pitcher's dad I see how much work my dd puts in outside of practice. Pitching is like playing another sport with the time commitment. Sure it's frustrating when errors are made, but if the fielder's put in as much time practicing fielding as my dd does practicing pitching I wouldn't care if they made errors. Most of the fielders on our team just show up to team practice and then on game day. I would never expect any girl to apologize. Lord knows my dd has left balls hanging over the plate. Just frustrating watching fielder's stand there all game and get one or two balls hit to them and they either can't field them or they make a bad throw.

Some teams DD has played on it seems like a bonus if some of the players make an out.

Other games she has been hit pretty hard, lot of stress gets put on entire defense.

Like everyone else says it goes both ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00