Sad news: Mary Nutter passes away

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Heard some sad news today, first from Cindy Bristow on Facebook and then later confirmed by the NFCA. Mary Nutter, an NFCA Hall of Famer and the creator of the National Sports Clinics, has passed away.

Anyone who ever went to the NSC knows who Mary was. She was a quite a character and a force to be reckoned with. She ran her clinics with an iron fist (and about as much passion as anyone could muster).

It was always amusing to see Mary when one session was scheduled to end and another to begin. She didn't care if you were a D3 assistant coach, a former player or the head coach of the National Team. When it was time to get off, she'd cut you off and keep things moving.

That being said, Mary was always looking out for her attendees. Inevitably there will be mix-ups or things missed when human beings are involved. But Mary made sure her people were trained to handle them quickly. And quite frankly, if you could catch her in the hallway she was a blast to speak with.

I attended many National Sports Clinics sessions here in the Chicago area, and much of what I know today I learned there. Mary always brought in the most interesting speakers and had the most interesting topics. Yet even in a large lecture format, where there might be 600 people in a hotel ballroom, you never felt remote. Because Mary always encouraged the speakers to hang out in the hallways and talk to people individually. If it was good enough for Mary herself, it was good enough for the presenters.

Hopefully the National Sports Clinics will continue to bring great softball information to new generations of coaches. But they'll never quite be the same.

Mary Nutter, thanks so much for all you gave all of us. I think we can say you're now safe at home.

Do you have any memories about meeting, talking to or seeing Mary Nutter? Add them in the comments section!

More...

Sep 17, 2009
Yes, those National Sports Clinics in Chicago were absolutely great and I immediately knew who Mary Nutter was just from that reference. A very nice, very helpful and very knowledgeable lady. Sympathies to her family...

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Oh no! Sad news!
I've enjoyed dozens of conversations with Mary. She was full of knowledge and loved to share it. She was a pro at explaining why she was right and you were wrong without hurting your friendship. Gonna miss her!

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ken, I could not have said it better. I met Mary several years ago. In fact, Mary asked my daughter to be a "demonstrator" at some of her clinics. What a nice lady. My daughter was repaid because whenever Mary saw her, she'd always say something to her. We were playing at one of her tournaments in Kansas and she went way out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. Softball has lost a great ambassador! RIP Mary!

Apr 9, 2012
I was fortunate to be 45 minutes from Mary and get to spend time with her talking softball (and buying league equipment) She was truly a great ambassador for softball and will be greatly missed.

The NCClinics must go on as they are a great service and one of Marys many legacies left for this great game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs