Sacoriliac Joint pain causes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2010
My dd has pain in her sacoriliac joint. It happened once before in 12 u and did exercises to take care of pain. Now two years later it is back again and we are working on her exercises again. Her body gets very out of balance. I was wonder if there is something in her motion that i should look for or how have other pitchers delt with this problem. I know of a few other girls with this problem and wondered how common it is. Looking for maybe a cause other than muscle imbalance.

thanks Ron

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Have you taken her to a doctor?

Causes:
* Twisting, bending, or moving in a way that triggers sacroiliac joint pain
* Infection of the joint
* Osteoarthritis of the joint (more common in older adults)
* Trauma , such as auto accidents
* Stress fractures in athletes
* Inflammation of the joint, such as with ankylosing spondylitis

A stress fracture is entirely possible, as well as a joint infection.

Kenzie Fowler (U of Az) had a serious condition that almost killed her, and it started with a little swelling in her arm.

So, please, go to a doctor and rule out all the serious causes for the problem.

Apr 2, 2010
Coach, my dd is going through the same thing. She changed pitching coaches in March, and we found the her weight was too far back on her drag foot, slowing her down. She fixed the problem and gained a few mph, but she started having SI (sacroiliac) pain after pitching a gazillion innings in a tournament with a huge ditch in front of the rubber. She hasn't been the same since. We've tried prednisone, muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory meds, and rest, which temporarily fixes the problem, but it came back with a vengence when championship play started. Our family practitioner was clueless, so we finally went to a chiropractor and began physical therapy. It turns out that her left hip flexor isn't strong enough and is inflamed from bearing the force of the momentum stopping when she pitches. The muscle spasms pull on the vertebrae, and pain radiates down the left leg and causes tingling that mimics sciatica. She is now taking some time off to rehab the muscle properly with exercises that enhance flexibility, strengthen the core and focus on building strenth and endurance in the hip flexor. She's making progress, but it's slow. It's difficult not to feel pressured by her team to hurry things along; we did that after the initial injury, and now we're back where we started 3 months ago. We keep telling ourselves it's better to take the time now to rehab properly that to have this be a nagging problem her entire pitching career.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My dd has pain in her sacoriliac joint. It happened once before in 12 u and did exercises to take care of pain. Now two years later it is back again and we are working on her exercises again. Her body gets very out of balance. I was wonder if there is something in her motion that i should look for or how have other pitchers delt with this problem. I know of a few other girls with this problem and wondered how common it is. Looking for maybe a cause other than muscle imbalance.

thanks Ron

If this is a stress fracture of the Sacrum spine, you can only get an accurate diagnosis of this with a scan. Unfortunately, many MD's and Chiropractors only seem to diagnose what they can documant and admimister a 'standard' of treatment for their industry. These injuries get misdiagnosed alot.

Jan 20, 2010
My dd had an mri back in 12 u and they didnt find anything. After alot of reading and trial and error i found that her glute medial wasnt firing, which is the muscle that supports the hip when your foot is off the ground. She was just out of balance, letting the hips shift to much. I will check for exersies for hip flexors. She drags the side of her foot alot, dont know if that is causing some of it to. This time it started after pitching alot of inning s on a crappy field. I thought i read the pitcher from Virgina Tech had problems with shin splints from muscle inbalance. Last time it took about a month of exersies for pain to go away.

Whats up with logging in multiple times to post ?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ladies and gentlemen--this forum is not where we give medical advice. Generally, we don't care if people are guessing about hitting, fielding, pitching, coaching, etc.--but, when it comes to a kid's health, there is only one answer:

GO TO A DOCTOR AND GET A DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT PLAN.

The thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves