Running lane INT question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Ms244's post got me to drag out my rule book and I wanted to ask about a rule that many coaches and fans are often confused about.

On a batted ball into fair territory, can a batter-runner in the running lane interfere with a throw?

Scenario 1: Batter bunts ball directly in front of home plate. Catcher quickly fields ball and makes throw to 1B. 1st baseman sees right away that throw is offline and sets up on the orange bag. Throw hits B-R - who is in the running lane - from behind before she reaches 1B. Ball falls to the ground and then B-R touches the white bag safely.

What about on a dropped 3rd strike that ends up in the foul ground on the 1B side of the field?

Scenario 2: 3rd strike gets away from catcher and batter-runner starts towards 1B. 1st baseman immediately sets up on orange bag to receive throw on foul side of 1B. Before she reaches 1B and while still in the running lane, throw hits B-R in the back. Ball falls to ground and B-R reaches 1B safely.

Scenario 3: 3rd strike gets away from catcher and batter-runner starts towards 1B. 1st baseman immediately sets up on orange bag to receive throw on foul side of 1B, but quickly realizes throw is off line and then moves to the white bag in fair territory to receive the throw. Before she reaches 1B and while still in the running lane, throw hits B-R in the back. Ball falls to ground and B-R reaches 1B safely.

Jun 22, 2008
Just being hit with the throw is not necessarily interference. The throw must be a quality throw and the runner must have actually interfered with the defenses ability to receive the throw at 1st base.

Play 1, I would not call this interference it was a poor throw by the catcher and runner is in the running lane she is protected. Throw was coming from fair territory.

Play 2, was it a quality throw? Did batter/runner do anything besides running that kept the defense from being able to receive the ball?

Play 3, Again you say it is a bad throw. I dont see interference.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I do not think the batter can be called for interference as long as she is completely inside the running lane.

Kind of reminds me a of play a few year ago when we were a first year 12U team. Our baserunner got caught in a "pickle" between 3B and Home. Catcher starts to chase the base runner back to 3B, then DRILLS her right in the middle of the back with a throw attempt to F5. Base runner drops like a sack of potatoes and starts crying. Catcher picks up the ball and tags her out.......just dayum!

Jun 22, 2008
In asa with use of a double first base the running lane flips to the fair side of first base on plays from foul territory.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
If BR is in running lane, I see no rule violation.
Scenario 1-F3 sets up on orange for errant throw
Scenario 2/3-why is F3 set up on orange? how far away
does the ball get from Catcher? In order to
hit BR the ball must be in direct vicinity or
BR is safe with no play. If Catcher drills BR
on all plays, I would work on catcher mechanics

Mar 26, 2013
In asa with use of a double first base the running lane flips to the fair side of first base on plays from foul territory.
Doesn't the BR have the option of using either portion of the base? I thought the running lane essentially becomes a double-wide.

Mar 13, 2010
ms244's post got me to drag out my rule book and i wanted to ask about a rule that many coaches and fans are often confused about.

On a batted ball into fair territory, can a batter-runner in the running lane interfere with a throw?

Scenario 1: Batter bunts ball directly in front of home plate. Catcher quickly fields ball and makes throw to 1b. 1st baseman sees right away that throw is offline and sets up on the orange bag. throw hits b-r - who is in the running lane- from behind before she reaches 1b. ball falls to the ground and then b-r touches the white bag safely.

What about on a dropped 3rd strike that ends up in the foul ground on the 1b side of the field?

Scenario 2: 3rd strike gets away from catcher and batter-runner starts towards 1b. 1st baseman immediately sets up on orange bag to receive throw on foul side of 1b. before she reaches 1b and while still in the running lane, throw hits b-r in the back. Ball falls to ground and b-r reaches 1b safely.

Scenario 3: 3rd strike gets away from catcher and batter-runner starts towards 1b. 1st baseman immediately sets up on orange bag to receive throw on foul side of 1b, but quickly realizes throw is off line and then moves to the white bag in fair territory to receive the throw. before she reaches 1b and while still in the running lane[/U], throw hits b-r in the back. Ball falls to ground and b-r reaches 1b safely.
#1=safe #2=safe #3=safe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321