Runners on 1st and 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
The only odd play that I have used requires a few players with higher than normal softball intelligence for the 10U-12U age bracket, but it is where I started using it with my DD and a few players that she played with for a few years. I would have my F5 play way in, almost halfway down the line, F2 would come up and read the play. If R1 was going or R3 was too far off the bag then she would fire it to F5. F6 would crash to third after the pitch. F5 would then have to make the snap decision to either throw to F6 or F2 or try for the tag on the runner. We only used it a few times, but it was effective with the right players when we caught the base runner napping.

At the younger ages, it is hard to come up with "plays" that work. What I tell my girls and coaches that come to clinics is that whatever shortcuts and trick plays you teach younger kids now that you are teaching solely for the purpose of trying to be successful at 10U ball will surely have to be unlearned later. This is inefficient and, IMHO, a waste of time and effort.

The goal of any team should be to completely eliminate having to worry about the dreaded "1st and 3rd play." How you do this is by training hard to be able to throw the runner out at second and then throw the runner out at home. Once you have done this, your opponents simply stop trying and their girls stay put. Any "play" you teach your girls should have this ultimate goal in mind ... to keep the base runners where they are due to fear of being put out and if they do go, to put them out.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This is 18U, but we have 4 different 1/3 plays; 1 - we throw down to attempt to get the runner. 2 - throw to the 2B coming in to get the runner at 3B. 3 - throw to SS coming in to get the runner at 3B. 4 - (This is my personal favorite, and last year picked off 5 different runners) Throw goes back to the pitcher to get the runner at 3B.

Of course the key is to sell the play. Maybe early in the game you throw down to try and get the stealing runner, you may get the out, you may not... but it opens up a play later in the game the coach knowing you are not afraid to throw to 2B with a runner on 3B.

We haven't tried this yet, but if the other team attempts the "timing" play, where the stealing runner attempts to get into a pickle to allow the 3B runner to score. If the throw goes to the SS covering, and the stealing runner stops, the SS forces her back to 1B while watching the runner at 3B, if she breaks toward Home, try to get the out at the plate. If not, then when the SS is about 1/2 way between 2B and 1B, toss it back to the pitcher in the circle. Hopefully we can get a cheap out with the LBR.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Talk to the female catchers that Jay has at his clinics as instructors or the ones that train with Austin. While DD was up at the NECC summer camp last year, I had Austin work with her. There was a D2 (I think that's what DD said) catcher watching and told DD that she (not DD, the catcher) was throwing 74. I don't know how accurate that is but that's what DD told me she said and that Austin agreed.

Yes, in addition to being humble and having text book mechanics, she does indeed have a rocket launcher, but last I knew the game pop wasn't quite 70. Include her and you can probably count on your fingers all the FP catchers 65+ from the crouch. Not limiting it to catchers, how many girls do you even see recording 65+ at NFCA or other showcases?

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
I may be way off base here but doesn't this mostly depend on the batter? Depending on the base runner speed if the batter is a triple threat then what option can you take other than position and hope for the best. If the batter has the slap, bunt, and control not sure if there is a good way to defend. I'm just thinking out loud here. Was curious on thoughts.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yes, in addition to being humble and having text book mechanics, she does indeed have a rocket launcher, but last I knew the game pop wasn't quite 70. Include her and you can probably count on your fingers all the FP catchers 65+ from the crouch. Not limiting it to catchers, how many girls do you even see recording 65+ at NFCA or other showcases?

If I were to be honest, maybe 10% at best from the team showcases around here. Insividual showcases I'd say maybe a few points higher. However, i can legitimately say that I have 4 out of 11 on my TB team throwing 65+ and 2 that are close. Yet, other than my DD, none of the other 5 want to play college ball and dont go to individual showcases. Although that has little to do with the discussion at hand, the point is that many teams, especially at the collegiate level are trying to pick the cream. If I have almost 40% throwing those speeds, i would think that those college teams would be closer to 80%, especially the upper level D1. As far as the catchers go in general, I can see where coming out of the stance will adversely affect their throwing speed.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If I were to be honest, maybe 10% at best from the team showcases around here. Insividual showcases I'd say maybe a few points higher. However, i can legitimately say that I have 4 out of 11 on my TB team throwing 65+ and 2 that are close. Yet, other than my DD, none of the other 5 want to play college ball and dont go to individual showcases. Although that has little to do with the discussion at hand, the point is that many teams, especially at the collegiate level are trying to pick the cream. If I have almost 40% throwing those speeds, i would think that those college teams would be closer to 80%, especially the upper level D1. As far as the catchers go in general, I can see where coming out of the stance will adversely affect their throwing speed.

YoC - IMO 4/11 means either you're lucky or a good instructor! With Austin's approach, I'd guess that somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of girls could be throwing 65. "College" also includes mid and low tier D1s, D2, D3s, Jucos etc. I might lose money, but 'd bet that 80% would be a top 25 D1 coach's wildest dream come true! Transition time and accuracy are as important as velocity - there are probably more BB pitchers in the minors who throw 100 than in the majors. Regardless, IMO, there no longer is an excuse for any self-respecting coach not to have their girls throw like ballplayers.

IIRC - Both Dave and Jay have said there's likely a mechanical issue if a catcher out of the crouch is more than 5 mph slower than top OH velocity.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
(This is my personal favorite, and last year picked off 5 different runners) Throw goes back to the pitcher to get the runner at 3B.

We did this in 14U last year. We practiced a ton on this move. Catcher had a decent arm, but not over-whelming.

Throw goes to pitcher, and automatically to the SS who is covering the bag. The trick is since the ball whet back to the pitcher, the runner on 3 (almost always) realizes its a pick-off move and never attempts the steal to home. The play to 2nd all depends on how hard the runner is attempting the steal. If they also think it's a pick-off, they sometimes did not go full speed and would get picked at 2nd. (SS had a good enough arm to challenge the runner at home if she went.).

This worked some, not always.

One thing is that seems to be the case, the older and stronger the catcher, the less "ease" it is to take 2nd.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We did this in 14U last year. We practiced a ton on this move. Catcher had a decent arm, but not over-whelming.

Throw goes to pitcher, and automatically to the SS who is covering the bag. The trick is since the ball whet back to the pitcher, the runner on 3 (almost always) realizes its a pick-off move and never attempts the steal to home. The play to 2nd all depends on how hard the runner is attempting the steal. If they also think it's a pick-off, they sometimes did not go full speed and would get picked at 2nd. (SS had a good enough arm to challenge the runner at home if she went.).

This worked some, not always.

One thing is that seems to be the case, the older and stronger the catcher, the less "ease" it is to take 2nd.

The only thing we did different is we have F5 stay at 3B instead of F6 covering the bag. Our F1 and F2 played it very good and really sold it, F1 would kind of duck down as if the throw was going to 2B. F2 would pop and throw it hard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA