Runner taking a step backwards on way to 1st Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2012
Not to get off topic but Amy have you ever had a girl try to hit your glove to knock the ball out of it. What about you coaches, have you and what did you do.

I saw that game and the call was right because she took a step back towards home.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I watched that game too. She ran slowly at first, but took a step backwards as the tag was being applied. If I'm not mistaken, the umpires missed it and it was a coach that caught it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Swatting my glove didn't happen. I wear a well worn mitt. It just grabs everything. I don't like a fielder's glove at first base. Probably 90% of the time, my mitt would be inside the baseline a few feet and the runner behind me.

If I field the ball on the line and am "run over" I was taught to roll onto my butt, like in volleyball. I would have both hands on the ball, at that point.

If I am pulled into the path of the runner, near the base, I was taught to let those balls go - to avoid dislocating my shoulder. I mean, if I have to reach across the base path. My right fielder would be backing me up and the runner will only get first base anyway - if I am not obstructing the base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I watched that game too. She ran slowly at first, but took a step backwards as the tag was being applied. If I'm not mistaken, the umpires missed it and it was a coach that caught it.

Then it is not a violation. The violation is if it is done to delay or avoid the tag. If the BR's movement did neither.....

Jun 11, 2012
What if there is a force play at second or third. Ball hit to 4 or 5 and BR stops and backs-up. I've taught dd to just stop, stay still and let player come to her. Have heard other coaches say it's ok to back-up. Wondering what the rule is for all associations but mainly play FED, ASA, USSSA.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
What if there is a force play at second or third. Ball hit to 4 or 5 and BR stops and backs-up. I've taught dd to just stop, stay still and let player come to her. Have heard other coaches say it's ok to back-up. Wondering what the rule is for all associations but mainly play FED, ASA, USSSA.

The rule against going "backwards" applies only to a batter-runner and only when in between first and home.

Runners already on base are free to retreat if they chose to and there is no penalty for that.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The rule against going "backwards" applies only to a batter-runner and only when in between first and home.

Runners already on base are free to retreat if they chose to and there is no penalty for that.

This rule is also true for baseball - it is not some strange rule made up for FP softball.