Runner Steals home - Whats the call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
Runner on 3rd, stealing home. Batter hits a blooper about 15 feet toward the pitcher with lots of back spin. Runner slides into home plate with her feet clearly across home plate at the time the ball rolls back and hits her in her left side or arm, which are in fair territory. What's the call?

Feb 3, 2011
Safe at home, ball is live, batter/runner may continue to advance at her own risk until it is no longer legal for her to do so.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Safe at home, ball is live, batter/runner may continue to advance at her own risk until it is no longer legal for her to do so.

I'm waiting for AJ, Comp, MTR, Brettman etc to opine, but I don't think so. Absent the runner sliding home, it sounds like the ball would have continued backspinning and possibly rolled out into foul territory. As Ajaywill recently noted in another thread, a ball isn't fair or foul until it a) comes to rest b) passes 1st or 3rd and hits the ground, or c) is touched by a player in fair or foul territory. As none of these happened, I believe that since the ball hit the runner in fair terriritory and the runner prevented a fielder (catcher) from potentially fielding the ball, the runner is out. What I do wonder is if home plate is a base that can be occupied, because that may offer an exception? Nonetheless, if I had to make the call, I would scream as loud as I could "Dead ball, interference, runner is out. Batter is awarded first base" and hope that noone questioned me and pray that my field umpire could save my bacon if they did!

Jun 22, 2008
You have one on me, cant say I have ever seen a case play covering this situation. Will ask on an umpires board and see what they have to say. There are several issues to deal with because technically the runner has already scored prior to any possible contact with a live batted ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Runner on 3rd, stealing home. Batter hits a blooper about 15 feet toward the pitcher with lots of back spin. Runner slides into home plate with her feet clearly across home plate at the time the ball rolls back and hits her in her left side or arm, which are in fair territory. What's the call?

Speaking ASA

Run scores, R1 no longer a runner.

Now the ball has contacted an offensive team member, not an active runner.

Since there is nothing in the rule book to specifically address this, I would probably rule a blocked ball. Assuming there was no INT depriving the defense from retiring the BR, she would end up on 1B. Then I would turn around to see which coach made it to the plate area first :)

Open to other opinions.

Oct 24, 2010
Speaking ASA

Run scores, R1 no longer a runner.

Now the ball has contacted an offensive team member, not an active runner.

Since there is nothing in the rule book to specifically address this, I would probably rule a blocked ball. Assuming there was no INT depriving the defense from retiring the BR, she would end up on 1B. Then I would turn around to see which coach made it to the plate area first :)

Open to other opinions.
Assuming there is no opportunity for an out, what's to stop the ODB from helpfully touching the ball in fair territory every time a batter hits a ball like this? It's legitimate defensive strategy to allow a batted ball to roll foul.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Assuming there is no opportunity for an out, what's to stop the ODB from helpfully touching the ball in fair territory every time a batter hits a ball like this? It's legitimate defensive strategy to allow a batted ball to roll foul.

Two things.

The ODB is restricted to the ODC except to avoid INT or to direct a runner, and even then the ODB must still avoid interference with a live ball or defensive player attempting to field the ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, watch what you say on this board. With all these acronyms, your cover will be blown as a government undercover agent.:)

Cannot help it. Watched Good Morning, Vietnam over the weekend

[Lt. Steven Hauk uses Army jargon to refer to a press conference to be given by former Vice-President Nixon]
Adrian Cronauer: Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Oct 24, 2010
The ODB is restricted to the ODC except to avoid INT or to direct a runner, and even then the ODB must still avoid interference with a live ball or defensive player attempting to field the ball.
The prohibition against interfering with a live ball applies to all offensive players.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii