runner on third....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2009
And the runner on 3rd can do anything that she wants to do, until the batter/runner touches 1st base.

Amy I have to disagree with you here, but I am open to a better explaination from Bretman or other ump. We always taught our girls that with a runner on 3rd and batter gets walked for catcher to throw back to pitcher immediately and for pitcher to keep ball in glove and stare at runner on 3rd. If Pitcher has ball in circle, and is not making a play on any runner then all runners have to commit to going back to base or to next base. Otherwise they are out. Whether or not batter/runner crosses first has no bearing on it. It is also my understanding that what is considered making a play is pretty wide open to umps discretion. Even looking at a base runner with ball in your throwing hand can be considered making a play, even if it is kept at your side.
BTW we had this exact scenerio a couple years ago in middlle school ball (high school rules). Our pitcher looked back runner at 3rd and runner did not move back to bag. Runner was called out and opposing coach went nuts. Claiming batter/runner had not touched 1st so play was not over. Ump said did not matter. BRETMAN Help!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Ump said did not matter.

That is just sad. I guess that is why rules get misunderstood so often. I hope that the opposing coach protested the game at that point. Because if that is what the umpire said, he was wrong.

When I see something like that happen, I always explain to the girls what the correct rule is, so they don't spend 3 years thinking that and further spreading misinformation.

Aug 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure a runner is entitled to ONE stop once the pitcher has the ball in the circle. Even the BR (following a walk) can round 1st, head toward 2nd, stop & return to 1st, as long as she immediately heads one to direction or the other after the stop.

I just had a conversation on an umpire forum and the VAST majority said my understanding is correct. Bret can also clarify.

I agree - never attempted to explain the rule only mentioned it. Wasn't trying to spark debate on "look back" rule. Rather, just offering some alternatives to letting the runner take the bag every time - unopposed. I've gotten the out call several times over the years against teams who aren't prepared for this quick throw back and get caught in between.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12