Runner for catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Snocatzdad,
While I agree with your dad theory, I don't think practice fully prepares a player for the stress and speed of the game. I think it does somewhat hurt their develoment because everything they do is different at game speed. I also think that a pitcher should not be just a pitcher. I feel that every team should have two pitchers and they should also play the field when they are not pitching. I do not like how a certain coach has only one really good pitcher, and he/she rides her for the entire year. My DD pitches (14U) and over the course of the season looses speed if she is overworked. She also loves to play in the field and may end up being a better infielder than she is a pitcher, but if all she does is pitch we will never know. That being said she should also run for herself. I don't buy the injury thing, she could get hurt anywhere and anytime and I think the chances are low running the bases.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Jan 15, 2009
John,

I agree that for development of the total athlete young pitchers should play other positions, run the bases, hit, even catch if they want, but the reality is that they start getting pretty specialized as they get older and while there are pitchers that are good hitters and good fielders (just as in baseball) there are also many that are not and you shouldn't weaken your "team" by forcing one player to contribute in an area they are weakest in, if you can avoid it. IMO running the bases and in particular sliding is the most dangerous part of this game. If your an aggressive baserunner your constantly pushing the defense and that means your sliding and/or being tagged almost every time your on the bases and that's where contact gets made, hands get stepped on, ankles get turned (or broken) etc....

Jul 1, 2010
I guess it comes down to age. IMO up through at least 14U or maybe even 16U let them play; catcher, pitcher, run the bases or all three if they are good enough.

I'm sure if it comes time for possible scholarships I will change my mind. But, for now, I'll let her have all the fun she can stand.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think running the bases revitalize the player, does not wear them down. Players have more energy in the field after they are on the bases.

They earned their spot on the base, and they know it and are happy/proud of it. :)

Its great to hear others thinking the way we do. My DD is a pitcher. Not the team speed pitcher, but is the movement pitcher. But, she is the lead catcher and is an absolute KILLER behind the plate. Lots of girls have done that. But going along with the conversations about base running, she is a Willie Mays of a base runner. Timing the jump for a steal is perfect and she will force a pickle at the drop of a hat..... and rarely ever gets caught. Her love is the circle, so I worry about getting injured (of course) but really meaning injured to the point of throwing her off her game in the circle as Snocatzdad mentioned. "the skill just requires a lot more to go right on even a good day and trying to play through an injury as a pitcher may just result in a walkfest or getting pounded. " But, shes good at it, and we know the risks and press on. I also agree with several of you that said or eluded to playing other postions and doing your own running makes a well rounded player. My DD is a pitcher first and works at it. But, she is a GREAT catcher because of her pitching. She knows what SHE needs behind the plate when she is pitching, so she gives THAT to her pitcher. ie chumming with the ump, asking for help down the line, blocking, EFFECTIVE framing vs deceptive framing and knowing what to say to her pitcher to keep her fired up or correct her etc. And with a 1.71 pop-to-pop time, its tough to steal on her, and that keeps her pitchers mind on the right things. Now, She is such a good base runner BECAUSE she knows the job of a catcher. She knows what to look for to test a catcher, how and where to make up time in the base path and read what they are ABOUT to do with the ball. To go one further, she is a 600+ batter. Not stretching. Being such an "effective" catcher, she reads that ball VERY well, and sees it differantly than many others. So, for my DD, playing other positions HAS made her better in other spots. I'm always gonna worry though. Haha. Look at Jenny Finch's last couple of USA games. She was allowed to hit AND run. I'm not a huge Finch "fan", but not a Finch hater by any means, but I was after I saw those games. Who knew she could hit the guts out of the ball like that, AND run so dang fast. With that talent, she should have been allowed to bat more often. Thats leaving it all out on the field. My DD gets hurt playing hard like she likes to, she would be ok (eventually) if she couldn't play again because she wouldn't be saying "should've, would've, could've." After all, its for her, not me. Be good everybody.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
My DD catcher is a 10U and her coaches let her run. She isn't a fast runner, but she does like to slide. Perhaps they'll start pulling her once she gets older, but I'm glad they aren't now. She needs more experience on the base paths.

Must be Murphy's law, but it sure seems like DD is either on the bases or on-deck (...or at bat!) a LOT when our half of the inning ends.

Ooops, sorry. its 1.81. Hit the wrong key and didn't catch that. That was measured two weekends ago at Colorado State University (CSU) Softball camp by the coach. She also hit 1.83, 1.84, 1.84, 1.84 for the 5 times. Dear daddy here wasn't doing the timing either. We timed her pops in October and was getting 1.9's mainly, but at the camp, she rocked it. They were showing proper stances and pop-ups etc and wanted her to do those techniques and she couldn't get an accurate throw. So, she told the coach, I don't pop up, I throw from my knees. They kinda said, "yeah, OK!!!" Their pitcher pitched the ball and they got all 5 times in a row for a tag. There were at least 30 catchers and only two others under the 2 second mark. Tons at the 2.1's though. If I read 1.71 or even the correct 1.81, I would think the same thing.. Daddy clicked the timers too soon. She is 14 1/2 - freshman and plays at the 18A level. These numbers came from CSU staff and starting catcher in front of everybody. She turned some heads.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Tootally agree with SnowcatzDad - running is where I see the most injuries. Last year for HS I had two pitchers and one trained catcher. All hit well, the pitchers were in the upper third for speed. they got a runner in most cases when I had someone on the bench. Didnt want to chance injury more than necessary. Catcher had a tender back. I had more depth in TB but still subbed for the same reasons. However, reading this thread I wonder if this makes sense. It seems to me (dont have data - just observation) that more injuries happen at 1st, followed by 3rd and the home. If this is true, it would seem the most chance of injury is when they bat then. Does that make sense?

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
My daughter is 16 and never runs for herself in travel ball. We have several girls faster, and by this level most teams should have one or two "speed demons" on their bench. (Not necessarily the same ones every game). During the heat of summer catchers need to be getting rest and hydrating when not behind the plate. You never know how long she'll be out there the NEXT inning.

I agree it may be different for younger kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse