Runner for catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2011
Fastpitch: Yes, the girl being put in to run was used solely for the purpose of running.
Rowdy: I had never thought about it quite like that: catching is priority; hitting is a plus; running is a luxury. I guess my main concern is when she gets to high school ball and showcase ball -- I don't want her to fall behind on something like baserunning. I had never really given it much thought until we played a team, a really tough team, last fall. When their catcher got on base, the ump actually asked the coach "Runner for your catcher??", and this coach replied "NO! My catchers run for themselves." Thats when I started wondering if maybe my daughter should be running.
thanks for all the input.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Reduced chance of injury. Most teams are very thin at the pitching position and an injury could really impact a teams season.

As opposed to a power-hitting F3 or a F6 for a vacuum?

Maybe old school, but I believe a ballplayer is a ballplayer for 100% of the game 100% of the time.

But this will all be turned around if you see pitcher limitations in the future, from NCAA down.

Nov 1, 2009

Maybe old school, but I believe a ballplayer is a ballplayer for 100% of the game 100% of the time.

But this will all be turned around if you see pitcher limitations in the future, from NCAA down.

I think they all hurt the team. A good pitcher neutralizes the opponent and can control where the ball is put into play. Our team hits pretty good throughout the lineup and as much as I would hate to lose any of them your ace hurts the most. Having lost our number 1 pitcher for a year I can tell you that is a tough replacement, especially if she is one of the best around.

Jan 15, 2009

When I watch a game I want to see people doing what they are best at. If I'm watching MLB and the pitcher throws a shut out while his DH hits 2 homeruns I wouldn't bemoan the lack of purity in the game. If the power hitting F3 who is a sloth on the bases, hits a double, then gets lifted for a pinch runner who scores the winning run on the next single that's fun to watch. That's two players doing their job and helping their team win, it's not two half players who should go play kickball because they don't have a "complete" game. If you want purity, then every player on the team should be able to pitch, catch, play all infield spots and play all outfield spots. To some extent they all probably can, but if you want to see them at their best you need to allow them to specialize and focus on a smaller skillset.

The reentry rule in softball allows you to put in a faster baserunner for "any" player not just catcher and pitcher. Why would you not try to win by replacing slow baserunners with fast ones as often as legally possible?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
When I watch a game I want to see people doing what they are best at. If I'm watching MLB and the pitcher throws a shut out while his DH hits 2 homeruns I wouldn't bemoan the lack of purity in the game. If the power hitting F3 who is a sloth on the bases, hits a double, then gets lifted for a pinch runner who scores the winning run on the next single that's fun to watch. That's two players doing their job and helping their team win, it's not two half players who should go play kickball because they don't have a "complete" game. If you want purity, then every player on the team should be able to pitch, catch, play all infield spots and play all outfield spots. To some extent they all probably can, but if you want to see them at their best you need to allow them to specialize and focus on a smaller skillset.

Well, back when they played real baseball with real players on real hometown teams, there was actually some strategy to the game, not just swap players in and out. You want to know what I found exciting? A pitcher who really knew how to bunt (not this half-rear crap they do now) execute a perfect bunt and place it right where the defense had to make a perfect play to get them out and make it next to impossible to get out an advancing runner. Even better if the pitcher swings away for a hit and RBI or even better, a HR.

I prefer a team game where everyone does their job based on the situation at hand, not their contract or ego. Like I said, old school, but I seriously believe it is better entertainment for those who appreciate the game as a whole. And yes, I enjoy a good pitching dual. I used to sit behind the dugout for many a great pitcher like Seaver, Ryan, Carlton, Bunning, Palmer, Wise, Gibson, Marichal, Drysdale, Koufax, etc.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Here is my thought on this. At the younger ages the kids like to score. Its one little measure of success that they knows lead directly to a win. If you ask a 10 year old how was your game, one of the first things she will say is I scored a run. Running the bases is not only fun, but its a necessary skill to have. Not every 10 YO catcher will be a catcher at 12 and not every 12 YO catcher will be a catcher in High School. If we don't prepare them with the skills necessary for success at the next level, then we haven't done our job as coaches.

When my girl was 11 and still catching regularly she hated being run for, it made her not like the position as much. Especially when in the next game she would be at Shortstop and the same coach had no problem with her running. It was coaching by rote.

They don't want to hear that the girl who replaced them scored, so that double you hit, became a run. Its not the same as coming home yourself. Now if we are talking 16u or 18u and you are in bigger events, then go ahead and run for pitcher and catcher. But don't stunt the little one's because that's what you see other coaches doing.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
My DD is the catcher & slowest on the team I coach. If we are playing straight ASA rules she hits and gets as far as she can. Then the runner comes in. I have 2 players that are steps faster then she is. They take turns by game, one in center and one on the bench to run. All 3 girls know that is what will happen.

My DD does get the chance to run bases during league games and on some Saturday games as we can bat the line up if we want to.

I don't usually run form my pitchers as they are quicker and it cost me a chance at going to Northern Nationals in 2010. My ace that pitches 52+ and hits the strongest stepped wrong on the catchers foot scoring in state and tore her ACL (as a 10yr old all she can do is wear a brace) I had run a few times for her but not too often, I had the thought of putting in a runner but we were ahead and I wanted to get the girls in the field and bat instead of just running.

I would say there are situations to do both.