Runner for catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2011
My daughter is starting her last season of 12U travel softball. She's played ball since she was 4; caught since she was 7. We have played travel ball for 4 years. Last year, every time she got on base, her coach put in a runner for her. He said it was to "save her legs". I feel like since she's moving up to 14u next year, she needs to do her own base running. She's not the slowest on the team, and she definitely knows how to slide - she started sliding when she played Tball! I would love to hear from some 14 and 16U coaches on this. Does it depend on the running speed of the catcher and the game situation? What about when she starts playing showcase ball -- shouldn't she be running? Any input is appreciated.

Jan 19, 2011
Depends on the situation...If she has played 3-4 straight games and is the only catcher, then yes, she may need a runner. But since you said she's not the slowest on the team, if she's fresh, let her run. She needs to perfect her base running skills just like she does with catching. Sooner or later she will have to run and she needs all the expierence she can get. The coach needs to remember it's still a game and games are fun, and running is probably the funnest thing for them to do... Just curious who do ya'll play for...PM me if you would like.

Jul 11, 2009
Had the same situation last year 8th grade ball. Daughter is not fast but not slowest on team. And she is a very smart baserunner. Everytime she got on base she was immediately pulled for coutesy runner. Her coach, also said it was because he did not want her hurt running bases because did not have any other reliable catchers. Also in reality I think he did it to get another girl in the game that hardly ever got to play. Daughter was frustrated because girl he always put in was barely faster than her, not aggresive, hardly ever picked up steal sign, and then would not steal when she did. And almost never scored. I told daughter to just be glad she was playing and hit more doubles and triples if she wanted to run more bases.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Also depends on the situation in the inning. Two outs, catcher on base, you better run for her if you expect to get her dressed and ready to start the next inning behind the plate with her gear on. One minute is usually not enough to get back to the dugout, dressed, and behind the plate.

Jul 28, 2008
If I pull my catchers these days, I wait till two outs. I used to pull them and didn't give them much chance to run the bases. Live and learn that it's about the training, not always winning.

Mar 13, 2010
We have a 'speed up rule' where the last runner (either out or home) will come on for the catcher if there is two out and they're on base. No substitution needed, it's just an automatic rule.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
One of the few things I dislike about coaching softball. All players should run for themselves. Does anyone know the reason or origin for this rule? I get the catcher, to speed up the game but why not the pitcher. I also can see it at the college level but not at 12U, 14U and 16U. I come from a baseball background, but was lucky to have two DD's.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
I can see substituting a runner for the catcher once there is two outs to give the catcher some time to get her gear on. Other than that, I'd let her run.

Sep 3, 2009
My dd guest played for a team this past fall; their #1 catcher quit before the tournament, and their #2 was out of town. DD caught all the games. They never let her run, and put her at the bottom of the batting order. Even if it was a no out scenario, coached called for a pinch runner. She hated it, but sort of understood; it's about preservation. The coach even went so far as to only have my dd warm up throwing, then had her stretch real good, and warm up a pitcher; but would have her sit out of the team warm ups before the games.
Most of the teams she's been on, they only put in a runner if it's a 2 out situation. You have 2 or 3 catchers, so you're not really looking at one playing 4 or 5 games.

Jan 15, 2009
As a coach if I have an opportunity to put in a faster (or just better) baserunner, I will. If the catcher's the best baserunner on my team she isn't getting a runner regardless of the outs. If it's been a long hot day and the catcher wants one, I might allow her one as a nod to the grind that position can be, but IME if they earn their way on base they want to run the bases. Also IME if a dad thinks his daughter is only a little slower than the runner she's replaced by the reality is that she's a lot slower, because if they were close dad would say they were the same speed and if they were the same, dad would think his DD was faster. That's just human nature, we all have trouble being objective about our own kids. As far as hurting her development, I don't buy it. If she's slow, she needs to get faster, that happens in practice and on her own work ethic and won't be influenced by a handful of baserunning opportunities.

Pitcher is the only position I buy using a runner to protect. If your a pitcher and you tweak an ankle, or bend a finger the wrong way u might be done for the day pitching with an injury a catcher (or other position player) would be able to play through. I'm not saying pitcher's are wimps, the skill just requires a lot more to go right on even a good day and trying to play through an injury as a pitcher may just result in a walkfest or getting pounded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207