Rundowns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
this is an interesting discussion. IMO there is nothing wrong with a little gamesmanship as long as it falls within the rules and and is not unsportsman like in any way.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How do people find the time to teach skills that are absolutely worthless in later years?

It is one thing to be hit in the head from 20 feet by a 12U 7th grader and another to be hit in the head from 20 feet by a 22 YOA college senior. In college, field players throw a minimum of 60 mph. The catchers on these college level teams are not exactly worried about the health of the runner.

Even if they don't play in college, do you really want some woman trying to stick her head in the glove when some "juiced" man trys to throw her out in a church league slow pitch game?

Dec 3, 2008
sluggers --

I coach Division I softball and there is no way a player is gearing up and throwing "a minimum of 60 MPH" during a rundown. We spend the time to teach our players how to run the bases smartly, including running at a fielder's glove in a rundown, and I do not believe it is completely worthless.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are assuming that the coach on the other team taught her kids how to do a run down correctly, and that a bunch of 19-21 year old kids are going to execute a run down "just the way it is drawn up on a chalk board." (If you can get your players to follow "the plan" 100% of the time, you're a better coach than me.)

If a run down is being executed correctly in practice, the ball is being tossed around relatively gently. Most run downs, though, are fire drills. Fielders are fumbling around with the ball, and hurrying throws. Usually, the ball gets dropped by a player who then picks it up and throw the ball hard to the receiving player.

Sounds a little dangerous for something that probably won't work anyway, and, even if it does, an umpire could call the player out for interference.

(FYI, my DD played D1 softball for a successful program. She also played college ball in West Texas and Arizona, where playing for blood is NOT hyperbole. She never heard of this.)

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Most decently coached teams execute the rundown in practice, game like situations at least 2X a week, making game situations become more routine. Although I do agree that game stress is greater then practice, we execute enough in pratice that the rare game time, live situations usually result in our defense executing the rundown as practiced with the emphasis on getting the out within 2 throws. Most on a tag before a 2nd throw. ** As the ball is in the chasers hand at shoulder height and she has practiced her dart throws EVERY Practice during throwing warmups, the throws ARE dart throws and usually not dropped or bobbled because the receiver controls when the dart is thrown to her, so no surprise. It really is simplier then sometimes we make it. *** Rundowns are in the defense favor by percentage, and thats why the runner in a rundown has a job to make sure if there is a trail runner, then that runner gets to the next base before she is tagged out.. the general assumption for most runners is odds are she will be a putout vice making it safely, thus her goal to get the trail runner to next base.
** Most people using this site are trying to learn from each other. Constructive input helps. There are various methods and beliefs for how we teach mechanical and skills, and philosophies for defenses, bunting, batting, even what pitches to throw in various situations. This does make it fun and also proves the fact that no one way is always the only way to be successful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619