Ruling question.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
If she realizes her mistake prior to entering the dugout and returns and touches home plate, then what would be the call? It happened as originally described in my 1st comment, and this play has haunted me as I was a 1st-year umpire when it happened. Thankfully, I knew both head coaches very well (DD had played with their DDs at one time or another) and the 3 of us, along with the president of the league, arrived at a conclusion, albeit the incorrect one. Nobody made a big fuss out of it and we all chalked it up as a learning experience. But I've always wondered, what if...

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
If she realizes her mistake prior to entering the dugout and returns and touches home plate, then what would be the call? It happened as originally described in my 1st comment...

Here is the situation again:

There is a runner on 2nd (R1) when the batter (B1) hits a single to right field. The 3rd baseman (F1) obstructs R1 in the act of rounding 3rd. The umpire signals the delayed obstruction call and allows the play to continue. Even with the obstruction, R1 reaches home well before the ball, and B1 takes 2nd on the throw. However, R1 failed to touch home plate and has commenced walking towards the visitors' dugout. Since a tag was never applied, the umpire has not indicated safe nor out. The catcher (F2) realizing this, chases after R1 to apply a tag. R1 then runs into the dugout, takes off her helmet and sits down. A tag was never applied. The defensive team appeals the play prior to the next pitch. What's the call?

Alternatively, what's the call if F2 manages to apply a tag prior to R1 entering the dugout?

If the obstructed runner returns and touches the plate prior to entering the dugout and prior to being appealed, then she is safe and the play is over. The Obstructed runner has reached the base she was protected to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan