rules question about rundows (aka pickles)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

OK I was at my DD's high school practice today (NFHS rules) and our AC (ex JC player) and HC were practicing rundowns. Runners on 1st and 2nd .....runner on 2nd gets in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd runner at first (one of my DD's) runs half way between 1st and 2nd and is ready to go to 2nd if girl between 2nd and 3rd gets to 3rd or gets out or can retreat back to 1st if runner goes back to 2nd. AC stops play and tells girls that if the runner between 1st and 2nd touches 2nd base that the runner between 2nd and 3rd then cannot go back to 2nd because runner from 1st has already touched 2nd.

Now I've been in fastpitch softball for 5+ years and I'm calling BS on this. I've seen numerous girls over the years run and touch 2nd base then run back to 1st and have never seen an umpire make a call on it one way or the others but I didn't say anything at the time just in case I was wrong (I know hard to believe right) ...so my question to DFP rules guru's is have you ever heard of this rule.

Yes your coach is full of BS.

OK now here's my beef... how in the hell can a JC player come up with this crapola. I know she played for a respectable Travel ball club before her JC career and had a full ride to a mid D1 college but didn't end up going for whatever reason so how the hell does she not know the rules? ....just boggles the mind

P.S. While I'm ranting why is it when a pitcher has 2 outs and a runner on 3rd and gets a ball hit back to her does she check the runner then go to 1st THERE'S ALREADY 2 DOWN!!!! and I've seen this at top D1 level as wellas lower levels....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
OK now here's my beef... how in the hell can a JC player come up with this crapola. I know she played for a respectable Travel ball club before her JC career and had a full ride to a mid D1 college but didn't end up going for whatever reason so how the hell does she not know the rules? ....just boggles the mind

Because as much as many like to tell you who they are, where they've been and how long they've been around the game, it doesn't mean shirt when it comes to knowing the rules. We see this annually during the NCAA Championships and WCOS where the so-called experts error nearly 50% of the time.

A trailing runner can never push a preceding runner off a base unless forced.

P.S. While I'm ranting why is it when a pitcher has 2 outs and a runner on 3rd and gets a ball hit back to her does she check the runner then go to 1st THERE'S ALREADY 2 DOWN!!!! and I've seen this at top D1 level as wellas lower levels....

Routine. Habit. Same reason it is not unusual to see F5 & F6 sidestep an advancing runner, sometimes forced, to throw the ball to 1B.
Problem is that players don't realize how easily that can screw up an umpire's ability to be in position to make the call.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Because as much as many like to tell you who they are, where they've been and how long they've been around the game, it doesn't mean shirt when it comes to knowing....how to teach fundamentally sound hitting, pitching, throwing, baserunning, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you MTR - my addition to your rant is bolded for emphasis!!!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ

After I finished laughing hysterically....What MTR said.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd