Rules every coach should know cold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A lot of leagues do have a must slide rule. One of the top 10 things to know is the league or tournament-specific rules.

I always have those printed! I also think that is in the top 3.

I feel like Kelly Bundy, my brain can only hold so much. When a rule goes into my head, another one comes out.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
The coach should also know the rules for special cases. For example, there are a handful of girls who are natural righties who sometimes bat lefty. Not very many coaches or umpires know the rules for when a girl switches mid-at-bat. She is allowed to do so if and only if she gets the ump to call time. If she jumps across the plate when the ball is live the ump may call her out.

If a coach has a girl who switch hits, the coach should make sure before the game that the player and the ump understand the rules.

Can someone please give the ASA and or the NSA rule # on this?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
A lot of leagues do have a must slide rule. One of the top 10 things to know is the league or tournament-specific rules.

What leagues have must slide rule? I believe in most cases the rule is that the runner must avoid contact with any player holding the ball to make a tag. They don't have to slide they just cant run through the fielder. I know NSA does not have a must slide rule. ASA removed theirs some years ago. I don't play a lot of USSSA or PONY but I don't remember a must slide rule.

Jun 18, 2013
What leagues have must slide rule? I believe in most cases the rule is that the runner must avoid contact with any player holding the ball to make a tag. They don't have to slide they just cant run through the fielder. I know NSA does not have a must slide rule. ASA removed theirs some years ago. I don't play a lot of USSSA or PONY but I don't remember a must slide rule.

Not Organization, league rules. Our local rec league tried it last season until we had two girls get injured because they had to slide into home plate no matter what and were never taught how. I made a lot of noise about how stupid it was for me to force a kid to slide into home when the ball was in left field and we managed to get them to back down off of it after 3 or 4 games.

Aug 12, 2014
Not Organization, league rules. Our local rec league tried it last season until we had two girls get injured because they had to slide into home plate no matter what and were never taught how. I made a lot of noise about how stupid it was for me to force a kid to slide into home when the ball was in left field and we managed to get them to back down off of it after 3 or 4 games.

Right. There are lots of local leagues (especially rec ones) that add their own rules to whatever national org rules they use. Our league has a must slide rule if there is a play on the runner, but it's not enforced consistently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild