Roster sizes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
Softball Scholarships & Chances of Playing College Softball

I thought it was interesting to see the size of the rosters at different schools. I also noticed that the roster sizes at some schools fluctuate a little bit from year to year. I suppose it depends on the overall softball budget but it would seem to me that if a coach wanted a player after they were allegedly "full" that they could take a player. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of players who can travel and dress for games?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Softball Scholarships & Chances of Playing College Softball

I thought it was interesting to see the size of the rosters at different schools. I also noticed that the roster sizes at some schools fluctuate a little bit from year to year. I suppose it depends on the overall softball budget but it would seem to me that if a coach wanted a player after they were allegedly "full" that they could take a player. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of players who can travel and dress for games?

20 max are allowed to 'travel' I believe.

Rosters sizes vary (big vs small) plus also teams may pull in club players to cover injuries or players who leave/quit/drop out/become ineligible (or student managers or players helping out w/ practice). If these are being counted in roster numbers, the roster size can be inflated by these fill ins who are only there for a game or two to cover a situation.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette always seem to carry 30+. That seems to be common for them . I see them at 37 on this list.

Sep 29, 2014
20 max are allowed to 'travel' I believe.

Rosters sizes vary (big vs small) plus also teams may pull in club players to cover injuries or players who leave/quit/drop out/become ineligible (or student managers or players helping out w/ practice). If these are being counted in roster numbers, the roster size can be inflated by these fill ins who are only there for a game or two to cover a situation.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette always seem to carry 30+. That seems to be common for them . I see them at 37 on this list.

Think 20 is the number dressed at the game, but that does not mean the same 20 the roster can be bigger and you can rotate people on and off dressed for the game...but Im sure others know the exact scoop.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Number of High School softball players: 373,892. I would rather see the number of players playing 18u Travel Ball. Knowing that number would really sway those stats and give more hope to those kids putting in the work. Not so much your Rec ball high school social players.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Pulled this from the 2016 D1 softball committee report for next year's WCWS.

Credentials. The committee increased the number of credentials issued to teams in an
effort to accommodate the growing number of student-athletes on team rosters. The squad
size remains at 20 and the travel party at 30; however, a total of 38 credentials will be
issued to each team and the dugout limit was raised to 35. These limits will be in effect for
all rounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog