Roster size as teams age to 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We tried to carry 12 players 10U-14U, and 14 players for 16U-18U, but it also depends on the level of the team. Lower level teams tend to carry fewer, while some of the marquee organizations carried more on their gold teams. On lower level teams parents expect their DD's to play regularly. On higher level teams parents are just thankful their DD is on the team.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We also tried to carry 12 through 14U and still had to play with 8 occasionally.

Once they can drive themselves all roster rules are off, need to determine the commitment of players being there every weekend and go from there.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Sad part about this particular case is his DD is (was) the best 3rd base player on the team when she wasn't pitching.
The fact was another girl on the team who is the number 1 pitcher is the weakest fielding player on the entire team and most likely is the one to sit except for the cases discussed here and bracket play.
#1 pitcher, her parents have received the hint on the DD only getting circle time and aren't happy about this reality. By the end her 14U phase they will either embrace this pitching only role and or need to get cracking on other aspects of the game.

The reality is pitching is basically a different sport played on the same field. I certainly consider a hitting/fielding pitcher someone who is playing 2 sports and if you are going to be good at both it is going to be a lot of work. If you want to be a great pitcher AND a great hitter AND a GREAT fielder.... that is a lot to take on even for a very good athlete.

Funny the people that should be concerned about the increase in roster size can be so oblivious and the girls with parents that shouldn't be worried drawing lines in sand and melt down, pull kids only to face rosters of 12 or more from here on out.

Yes, but to be fair to them they are probably going through it for the first time and change is always hard. Just like everyone else they are trying to find their way through and trying to do what is right by their kid. Not everyone gets on forums and gets advise or learns or has access to people who have gone through it before. What was OK or good enough to get you on the field in 10U is different in 14U and the pool of players is getting smaller and in general the quality of remaining player is getting better. It is harder and harder to hide bad fielders - 1B is now the easiest position to field - almost anyone in the team can play it. And so on....

Also there is plenty of 11 player rostered teams playing - they are just local and have different goals than a real 'A' team and there is NOTHING wrong with that. My DD guests on a 18U team that hasn't changed much since 10U - smaller roster, same players, same coaches, same parents. They like it that way and didn't enjoy it when they ventured beyond that... and again nothing wrong with that.

Apr 28, 2014
It's really all about the fit and communication.
DD is in an organization that has 3 14u teams. They all have different goals.. Not every 14u team wants to win PGF.
If the kid/family wants to compete at that level they have to first be good enough at their primary position and then must understand that if their not as good as others at their secondary position then they will sit.
That's the true essence of a team first attitude.
Now they could be a great player at all positions on that team that has lower goals than PGF nationals but then it's their choice where to play. But you live with it.
These decisions are not easy and are stressful but once you make the decision as long as the communication has been there then that's all you can ask for.

I hear it a lot..
Parents unhappy with the lack of practice time or the weak tournaments that the team enters. Then you ask them what the coaches said when they made the offer and you hear "well they didn't tell us want tournaments we'd be in" or "well they did say it was a newer team but I didn't know the girls weren't that good".

It's all communication..

The quality of your life is equal to the quality of your communication.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A couple years ago coach pulled player aside and said more politely you suck and are done pitching for year. She is in tears and parent is upset.

She knew going in from then on what she was getting into. Could not have been pleasant conversation for coach but they did it.

(Only thing worse then girls crying is boys crying. :))

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm in my 15th year of coaching; the last 11 in TB so I've ben there, done that already. This is also my 2nd time through and am now coaching a 12U "A" team. I am currently carrying 12 players. I've never believed in sitting players by position. Pitchers pitch and hit on my team. Pitchers , when not pitching, field and hit on my team. At 12U-14U, it's still about player development whether you're playing "rec," "C," "B," "A," or" Gold/Elite" IMO. The only way for them to learn is to teach them and put them on the field. If parents pull their DD from the team at any age, at any of these levels of play, it's for one of two reasons usually. 1) 60% or so of the time, the parents have an unrealistic perception of their DD's skills or 2) the rest of the time is the lack of the HC stating the player's role on the team and his/her expectations in general for all players.

ETA: At 14U I carried 13-14 the first time through with no problems and 16-18U I carried 15-16.

One thing I've found to be true. The grass is always greener on the other side of the TB fence because it's usually fed with a huge truckload of BS.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to remember that one.

Please do. If you find a great fit for your DD on a TB team with quality coaching, no matter the level of play, stay there. The higher the level of play, the more the coaches are looking for performance and your DD's next replacement should she not. I'm not that way but many others are the "win at all costs," mentality and will promise the world to get your DD until a better player comes along. Meanwhile, they never follow through on what they promised basing it on "what's best for the team." This is a gross generalization on my part but it's happening more and more IMO.

Myself, I develop my players and I win or lose with who I brought. If they're unhappy at the end of the year and leave, I'll replace them. Otherwise, they have a spot already earned for the following year on my roster and I'll continue to develop them.

As for playing in college, if your DD wants to and can, that's up to you and your family to get her recruited. IDC what organization she plays for. Yes, some big name TB organizations have more pull than others but those same organizations are losing their credibility due to watering down their teams in a big money grab for the most part. Again, this is a gross generalization by me, but I see it happening more and more every day IMO.

It's incumbent on you and your family to make the necessary contacts and get the college coaches out to see her play in tournaments/showcases or get her to college camps/clinics/ individual showcases to get her in front of those same coaches.

Last edited:
May 15, 2016
It's incumbent on you and your family to make the necessary contacts and get the coaches out to see her play in tournaments/showcases or get her to college camps/clinics/ individual showcases to get her in front of those same coaches.

You really are prescient, or at least seem to know what is going on in our household. I don't think I mentioned on here some of our most recent questions.

My DDs organization went to one showcase out of state showcase, and one very local one this year. She is concerned that is not enough and I told her I would see about an individual showcase if necessary. She is 1st year 14u, so I we have some time before showcases. There are some other points you mentioned that are very relevant to us, but I can't get into that now.

One thing I can say very positively about my DDs organization is player retention. I asked the president of the organization about this before she even tried out. I was told they keep their players unless a girl is not putting in the effort and showing improvement. That was proven to be true after the tryouts in August.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez