Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Not a big fan of going back to youtube once you have a GIF... but I see where it could have it's place. The original was clean just in case anyone was interested!

BOOM! Syd the Cano! :) :)

Yep... Thankz again for this..!!! It has been quite a conversation piece in our household...& abroad. I study it alot, and has been a big influence on us. I'm just now beginning to understand the Genius of it... You talk about a confidence boost for Syd !!!!!!!!!!!!! right when she needed it most. I'm just now ready to approach your total written analysis... Heavy Duty !!!! Thx Again !!!! Cheers & Beers :eek:

EP: The how to lay down the bat after a HR was way to COOL too !!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
We now know that FFS and a few others on here think this is the high level barrel path. FFS calls it a 12 to 6 barrel path I guess. I call it torquing the handle of the bat parallel to the pitch.

This drill and barrel path has been argued ad nauseum on other boards. I have been saying that HI trained hitters swing in a circle and are ALL UNLOAD. None of them LOAD in the UNLOAD. The reason the girl on the right has the bat in the crook of the neck is because there is no other way to make this drill work in a real swing and have it look half way decent. If she were to hold the bat vertical like the girl on the left....she would bop the catcher on the head with the bat....if the bat were long enough.

Turn up the volume on your speakers:D

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We now know that FFS and a few others on here think this is the high level barrel path. FFS calls it a 12 to 6 barrel path I guess. I call it torquing the handle of the bat parallel to the pitch.

This drill and barrel path has been argued ad nauseum on other boards. I have been saying that HI trained hitters swing in a circle and are ALL UNLOAD. None of them LOAD in the UNLOAD. The reason the girl on the right has the bat in the crook of the neck is because there is no other way to make this drill work in a real swing and have it look half way decent. If she were to hold the bat vertical like the girl on the left....she would bop the catcher on the head with the bat....if the bat were long enough.

Turn up the volume on your speakers:D

Wellphyt, question for you ..... why do you feel the need to start a post with a lie?

Please support your claim. Where did I make the claim that this represented a high level barrel path?

I never made such a claim.

There was a time when you were open to discussions. Now you blatantly lie, making discussions with you pointless.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
The girl on the left is attempting the high level barrel path. The high level barrel path is suppose to be "ONE MOVE WITH A CHANGE OF DIRECTION" within that one move. If you go ALL IN with your hands at swing initiation...the CHANGE IN DIRECTION is imperceptible to the untrained eye.

If you don't go ALL IN with your hands....the swing takes on the appearance of two moves....which is what the girl on the left does. What you don't want to do is abandon the high level barrel path for a ferris wheel barrel path. What you do want to do is work with the girl on the left on how to use her hands better.

In order to help explain the high level barrel path...boardmember coined a phrase on BBD called "Carve and Filet". I had been using the term "Load to Throw" to describe the same action...however I believe boardmember's term is easier for others to relate to.

"CARVE and FILET"

The carve is similar to how you would carve a roast....which is to say you would cut down through the meat.

The filet is a sideways cut....such as how you filet a fish.

I will now attempt to show this Carve and Filet action by putting in a pause after the Carve action has ended and before the Filet action has started.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The girl on the left is attempting the high level barrel path. The high level barrel path is suppose to be "ONE MOVE WITH A CHANGE OF DIRECTION" within that one move. If you go ALL IN with your hands at swing initiation...the CHANGE IN DIRECTION is imperceptible to the untrained eye.

If you don't go ALL IN with your hands....the swing takes on the appearance of two moves....which is what the girl on the left does. What you don't want to do is abandon the high level barrel path for a ferris wheel barrel path. What you do want to do is work with the girl on the left on how to use her hands better.

In order to help explain the high level barrel path...boardmember coined a phrase on BBD called "Carve and Filet". I had been using the term "Load to Throw" to describe the same action...however I believe boardmember's term is easier for others to relate to.

"CARVE and FILET"

The carve is similar to how you would carve a roast....which is to say you would cut down through the meat.

The filet is a sideways cut....such as how you filet a fish.

I will now attempt to show this Carve and Filet action by putting in a pause after the Carve action has ended and before the Filet action has started.

Thank you for sharing another portion of your swing model.

sosodi.gif

Any chance we can get you to back up your earlier lie? See my prior post.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Girl on left attempting high level CARVE and FILET barrel path. The difference between her and Pujols....is that Pujols uses his hands much better at swing initiation.

The hands are what release the shoulders/upper torso to turn forward. If you don't get the hands moving towards the pitcher as you begin to CARVE....the shoulders will freeze and you will trap the hands and barrel....behind the CORNER....that the CARVING action creates. You don't want a stagnate CORNER. The CORNER needs to be turning towards the pitcher AS IT's BEING CREATED.

Pujols' upper torso begins to turn towards the pitcher....AS....he performs the carve action. Watch the #5 turn on his jersey turn forward as he CARVES. His CORNER is being created....AS....he turns his upper torso towards the pitcher.

The girl on the left gets her hands going towards the pitcher about one frame late....which leads to a stagnate corner and causes her hands to get out of sync.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors