Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
My DD just liked that handset and we stayed with it until she got more comfortable loading the hands better. We tried the tip and rip but it just didn't come natural to my DD so we stuck with that handset seen on that video. I believe my DD was 15 when that video was taken, she's now 16. We've worked on turning the barrel for the last year or so and the difference is amazing. We are constantly trying to make her swing more efficient and powerful.

Cranky, where are you located? Any way of getting you over to Long Island? I cook a mean ribeye on the grill. Then you can teach my DD that swing! :)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My DD just liked that handset and we stayed with it until she got more comfortable loading the hands better. We tried the tip and rip but it just didn't come natural to my DD so we stuck with that handset seen on that video. I believe my DD was 15 when that video was taken, she's now 16. We've worked on turning the barrel for the last year or so and the difference is amazing. We are constantly trying to make her swing more efficient and powerful.

Boy, her swing looks explosive/powerful to me just the way it is in the clip!

Feb 14, 2010
Doug,

Thanks for the kind words. My DD's power and ADJUSTABILITY went to another level once we modified her loading of the hands and turning the barrel more effeciently. People will make up their own minds on what they see. All I know is what I did with my DD and the results that followed were amaing. Good luck to you.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug,

Thanks for the kind words. My DD's power and ADJUSTABILITY went to another level once we modified her loading of the hands and turning the barrel more effeciently. People will make up their own minds on what they see. All I know is what I did with my DD and the results that followed were amaing. Good luck to you.

In addition to the explosiveness of her swing, I also like the plane that her bat travels on. I think in terms of a large disc. First, her swing is, in my opinion, a full 360-degree swing. Second, I see her swing as being an ellipse rather than a perfect circle, which I see a a desirable thing ("long-through"). Third, the barrel bottoms out on the path of the ball (even if the ball isn't moving), stays on that path until the hands can reach no further (well, almost), then rises out with the ball.

Also impressive to me is that she seems to get a powerful weight-shift into the front side. I, for one, really do like this swing!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
You say my daughters swing lacks adjustability and can't hit elite pitching. Not only can her swing hit elite pitching, IT DID ALL SUMMER, FACT.

Do you know the guy sitting on the bucket calling pitches outside the other dugout? I did that for years up through 16u travel. Your dds swing is not adjustabile as she will eventually find out. She is susceptible to anything hard up and in....she will struggle against a good changeup....and she will struggle with the inside scewball. If she does manage to but the barrel on the inside screwball, she won't be able to keep it fair. Once good pitchers figure out she can't keep the inside screw fair....they'll throw her that pitch and get two easy foul ball strikes.

Don't be surprised when she starts facing a steady dose of rise balls as she moves up in levels.

You say she squishes the bug and your DDs weight transfer is MLB quality. I would bet my house and everything I own that my DDs weight transfer is far superior than your DDs. The results say so. FACT

IMO this isn't even a contest. The back foot action tells the story. My dd's back foot action at transition is very high level and matches the pros. You have been convinced by others that your dd weight shifts like back foot HR hitters like Bonds....who kept their weight more behind their axis. You are falling for a visual look....which is how HI tricks parents. I suspect as you gain more experience teaching hitting and your video analysis skills improve...the light bulb will turn on.

Your dd squishes the bug in her tee swing. My guess is that your dd's lack of weight shift shows up even worse in her game swings. Would love to see a full body shot game swing.

I agree that my dd's weight shift isn't ideal. One day maybe you'll figure out why it isn't ideal and how that relates to your dd. You really need to get better at understanding what the best hitters are doing at TRANSITION. My dd's rear foot action at TRANSITION is very high level....but her upper leg bone is max internally rotated in her hip socket...just like what HI teaches. In my dd's case, she was born that way. Her max internally rotated upper leg bone is a built in coil leak. It's physically impossible for her to hold ER as described by Miyahira/Maves and others....it's impossible for her to NOT leak the coil. She was born doing the HI IR-IR-IR. It's hard to believe any parent would purposely teach a kid to match my dd's upper leg bone to hip socket condition. Uggghhhh!

I have a unique understanding of how the upper leg bone in the rear hip socket affects the swing because of my dd's previous condition. It's the main reason I argue so profusely against rear leg IR to weight shift. It's terrible. I'm the only person on these hitting boards that I'm aware of that has x-rays showing what their kid's upper leg bone is doing in the rear hip socket.

You have been convinced that turning the rear leg down and in like this is somehow good:

You are falling hook line and sinker for clips like the Gattis clip. I haven't forgotten about the Gattis clip. The Gattis clip will get discussed....no matter how many distractions the bowery boys throw my way.

My dd has a built in coil leak from birth. Your dd doesn't...there is no excuse for your dd's poor rear foot action at transition. If your dd were doing the same thing my dd was doing at transition....her weight shift would be way superior....because your dd's normal right leg would allow her to leverage the ground better.[/B].

My daughters swing is not perfect but she will work tirelessly to perfect it as much as possible, FACT.

If your dd was working tirelessly doing the wrong thing....would you want to know? Or...are you okay letting her work tirelessly doing the wrong thing because you don't like certain personalities on an internet hitting message board? Do yourself and your dd a favor and post her swing on other hitting boards to get different opinions. BBD comes to mind.

I'm glad what you teach is extremely difficult to learn and perfect because its so high level. A swing should be natural not forced, FACT

This statement convinces me that you don't understand anatomy....and don't understand what your dd is being taught. You are a parent that was recruited to join an internet hitting site and have abandoned all critical thought once there.

What I teach is the more natural swing. My students weight shift....my students get full extension after contact....my students get hand to hip separation. The good natural movements your dd once had are slowly being coached out of her. She is about 1/2 to 1 frame of having the good hand torque action I liked being totally gone. Her initial hand torque action in her tee swing is good. Unfortunately she quickly gives it up and starts doing the ferris wheel thing. A classic example of a good naturally movement being coached out of a kid via bad drills.

I'm not a doctor/therapist so I truly don't know how the bones/muscles move, all I know is what looks natural and produces results & I will continue to teach and produce RESULTS, FACT.

Whatever....maybe one day you will realize that the reason your dd doesn't get to this position in her tee swing is precisely because she isn't using her body naturally.

katie jess extension.jpg

I will not get my feelings hurt by people dissecting my DDs swing. I'm here to learn but I will not blindly follow anyone. You want my respect earn it by showing me the results of your teachings and frankly I'm not impressed by your super hard to learn high level swing. FACT.

I would not be commenting on your dd's swing were it not for FFS and your decision to post the swings of my dd and your dd side by side for comparison purposes. I had not mentioned a word about your dd prior to that clip being posted. You, FFS, Rdbass ("White Elephant in the Room") and you know who; are the ones who thought it was a good idea to do a comparison.

I get it....you're not impressed with hitters swinging at a pitched ball whose back foot action at transition perfectly matches the pros (what happens after transition is out of my control because of my dd's upper leg issue)....who get really good hand to hip separation....who get full extension after contact.

I could care less about your dd's swing. I'm not the one who decided to use her as a model to disprove what I teach. I wish you guys had used a little more foresight before putting her swing up against my dd's swing. The Billiard Boy has a way of getting people to do things outside of their character. History has shown it's never a good idea for HI trained kids to be posted on hitting boards as examples of a high level swing. They all squish the bug and have ferris wheel barrel paths. You and FFS seem to be very selective as to where you post Brooke's swing....that tells me you are less interested in learning and more interested in being coddled.

I've put my dd's past rear leg issue out there for learning purposes. The Bowery Boys want to try and use it against me. They will stoop to any level to keep their hitting site afloat. What a shame. My dd's past rear leg issue is an incredible opportunity to learn about how the rear upper leg bone position in the hip socket affects the swing.

Feb 14, 2010
Wellphyt,

I posted a video of her hitting a HR off a riseball high and tight on here so once again you are misguided. You cannot play at a higher level than 18 Gold and 18U PGF, facing D1 pitchers every game. As for the change she does need to get better at driving it more consistently but she's also hit some out too. There's a reason why pitchers throw it.

She already does that and does remarkably well. Will D1 softball be a huge jump, ABSOLUTELY, but the thing my DD has proven time and again is she will work her tail off and make whatever adjustments she needs to in order to be the player she desires to be.

You can comment on my DD swing anytime you wish, it doesnt bother me one bit. I' secure enough in the results of what she's been taught that i know we are on the right path. that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement because there always is.

I don't want you to take this personal because it's not meant to be. But I don't want my DD to swing like your DD or the baseball player you've posted, it's looks so stiff and forced and that's not what a swing is supposed to look like. I will my take DD's bug squishing,ferris wheel, no extension and no adjustabilty swing over what you promote everyday of the week and twice on sunday, lol.

Feel free to put up comparison videos all you want, doesn't bother me. If it helps a dad and DD out I'm all for it. they can go down your path or whatever path they want let them figure it out themselves, I did and obviously you believe you have to. Good luck and I wish your DD the best.

One more thing, I will not post in this thread again because the board is tired of it. I will read all posts though so if you need to say something else Wellphyt, go ahead and have the last word.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2012
Long time lurker who just thought I'd throw my "vote" in. Anyone who looks at crankermo's daughters' swing and thinks it's not just absolutely awesome is kind of crazy. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, but even the pro's have swing flaws and work tirelessly to perfect/improve theirs - at the age of 15/16 I'd say that swing is pretty impressive and will take her a long ways. I've played ball for years, studied swings and hitting inside out and now I'm just another obsessed dad trying to do what I can to help my daughter reach her goals and dreams so I will leave my hitting theories off of here, Lord knows we have plenty of those on here already (which I really enjoy reading by the way). Best wishes to your daughter crankermo, and everyone else's for that matter.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Long time lurker who just thought I'd throw my "vote" in. Anyone who looks at crankermo's daughters' swing and thinks it's not just absolutely awesome is kind of crazy. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, but even the pro's have swing flaws and work tirelessly to perfect/improve theirs - at the age of 15/16 I'd say that swing is pretty impressive and will take her a long ways. I've played ball for years, studied swings and hitting inside out and now I'm just another obsessed dad trying to do what I can to help my daughter reach her goals and dreams so I will leave my hitting theories off of here, Lord knows we have plenty of those on here already (which I really enjoy reading by the way). Best wishes to your daughter crankermo, and everyone else's for that matter.

I think bat speed is an equalizer.Cranks DD has it. A smaller girl can play at a higher level school when she has it.
Fast pitching and fast bat speed. 220's not that far away then.
One thing I try to add to all girls I work with....

Not to leave Wells dd out, her back foot/leg action is very similar to what I do.

Straightleg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC