Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
Wellphyt,

Glad to see you posted again. It's all about kids becoming better. Since you like to deal in cold hard facts as you say, let's throw some out there.

You say my daughters swing lacks adjustability and can't hit elite pitching. Not only can her swing hit elite pitching, IT DID ALL SUMMER, FACT.

You say she squishes the bug and your DDs weight transfer is MLB quality. I would bet my house and everything I own that my DDs weight transfer is far superior than your DDs. The results say so. FACT

I have been told by several college All Americans, opposing coaches,bigtime D1 coaches,Olympians and even a ASA/USA player of the year that my DDs swing is one of the best they've seen, FACT

My daughters swing is not perfect but she will work tirelessly to perfect it as much as possible, FACT.

I'm glad what you teach is extremely difficult to learn and perfect because its so high level. A swing should be natural not forced, FACT

I'm not a doctor/therapist so I truly don't know how the bones/muscles move, all I know is what looks natural and produces results & I will continue to teach and produce RESULTS, FACT.

I'm under the assumption that a big 10 school wouldn't throw away a damn nice ride on a girl with a terrible swing so I will just take my chances with what I've taught her and trust the RESULTS of those teaching. FACT

I will not get my feelings hurt by people dissecting my DDs swing. I'm here to learn but I will not blindly follow anyone. You want my respect earn it by showing me the results of your teachings and frankly I'm not impressed by your super hard to learn high level swing. FACT.

I truly hope your DD succeeds at the highest level posssible. FACT

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I really wonder as to why this thread is still up. You guys are all great guys. You'd all be the first to sit down and have a great time watching each others dds play. Instead, we are attacking the kids of this site. One major problem with this is that the lines drawn now might not disappear. Then, members, and I wish I were wrong, would "belly up to the bar" and watch the careers of these young ladies to look to see who has success and who has failure. All this would then be done in a video war as well. Is that what everyone wants?

This is my last post in this thread. I know that everyone posting is this thread is above this stuff. Use your ignore button. Choose to take the high road. We are talking about young ladies.

Take care,

Darrell

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow....is that wellphyt's student swinging at a pitched ball in a game matching a MLB player? Is that wellphyt's student and a MLB player doing the held external rotation move that Miyahira talks about?

held er clint stanton.jpg

"The Move"....learn it....teach it....

A 17 yo kid swinging at a pitched ball....making an on the fly adjustment....and still managing to perfectly sync everything up into contact. Adjustability baby....

This kid recently tried out for an 18u travel team coached by a pitcher who played 9 years in MLB. The coach pitched batting practice during tryouts. Got the call two days later to join the team. Do you think the MLB pitcher knows a good swing when he sees one?

Of course Rich is going to trash this kid's swing. He trashes every kids swing that....doesn't squish the bug....gets separation....gets extension after contact.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Check out the sync of the front leg straightening into contact...against a pitched ball no less...

My dd wasn't getting this kind of sync into contact in her swing that FFS posted:

Front arm position.jpg

Her hips have finished turning....her shoulders have finished turning....and she still hasn't reached contact. I see MLB hitters do the same thing when they are way early. In my dd's case she just needed to balance better and use her hands better.

That's the challenge with teaching "The Move". "The Move" is very high level. If you don't go all out with your hands when doing "The Move" at transition....the hips are going to leave the hands behind....IN A HURRY. My dd doesn't come close to going all out with her hands in the swing FFS posted.

There is no way I would let anyone coach out of her....her excellent back foot action...and her "Carve and Filet" action. You will never see one of my students squishing the bug or swinging a bat like a ferris wheel.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
Daddy ball at its best.... hey if you all have a problem meet up and discuss face to face instead of on this board. Oh yea my daughter is better than all your daughters. She's 5 and had d1 colleges saying she is the best. Looking for her on the Olympics when she turns 11. every college coach wants her..... I can go on and on about how great she is.... oh wait I don't have a 5 year old.... oh well it doesn't matter i can say what ever I want on here.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Some images to ponder:

26) Heyward-B.jpg

22) Pence-B.jpg

27) Pujols-B.jpg

View attachment 4434

Also...someone commented on my dd's hand pump. The hand cock is a natural syncing mechanism and IMO is very good so long as you don't over due it. Many fastpitch and MLB hitters cock their hands when they cock their hips....I would say most do. In my area the coaches only pick up on the hand cock with hitters who start with their hands low....they typically don't see it in hitters who hold their hands up high. Holding the hands up high covers it up some.

Here's Katie's hand cock. Notice how the hand cock is perfectly in sync with the lifting of her front foot. If you have time to lift your front foot....you have time to perform a hand cock.

Feb 14, 2010
Cannonball I don't take anything said about my DDs personally and never will. I wish all the dads and kids on here the very best and will hopefully track their progress as they get older. I will continue to post video and updates on my DD because I value the feedback & hopefully what's being said will help someone else.

Wellphyt I hope you keep posting about my DD and your hitters also. It's all open to critique as far as I'm concerned

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Check out the sync of the front leg straightening into contact...against a pitched ball no less...

My dd wasn't getting this kind of sync into contact in her swing that FFS posted:

View attachment 4428

Her hips have finished turning....her shoulders have finished turning....and she still hasn't reached contact. I see MLB hitters do the same thing when they are way early. In my dd's case she just needed to balance better and use her hands better.

That's the challenge with teaching "The Move". "The Move" is very high level. If you don't go all out with your hands when doing "The Move" at transition....the hips are going to leave the hands behind....IN A HURRY. My dd doesn't come close to going all out with her hands in the swing FFS posted.

There is no way I would let anyone coach out of her....her excellent back foot action...and her "Carve and Filet" action. You will never see one of my students squishing the bug or swinging a bat like a ferris wheel.

I believe this is the swing clip you are referring to.

JessBrooke.gif

It would help if you include it in your posts when speaking about it so that folks don't have to keep clicking around to find it.

Thank you for posting the video in the first place. If you have any updates that you wish to post then feel free to do so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd