Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I am familiar with a fence drill but I don't know if it is the same as "epstein's fence drill".

I do know that I focus on the back arm path when having players do it instead of pulling across with the front arm. The back arm path coupled with forearm rotation gets the barrel along the fence line early and keeps it there much longer as the back arm is allowed to unfold - than focusing on the front arm pull across.

Like this?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howe, can a hitter come out and attack oppo then adjust inside and hit the inside seam? He might feel like he is staying inside seam but its a total different swing. Try putting a ball on a tee on the inside corner, attack oppo with one swing and then attack inside right from the start on the second swing. Total different results.

Now, that would all depend on the inside pitch, wouldn't it? FB no. The attack oppo approach would not work. Breaking pitch, yes.

Sep 2, 2013
I'm talking fastball. On the breaking pitch, do you think if you attack oppo you can recover and attack the inside seam well enough? I say you will still swing around it.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Not very smart person on hitting but here it goes. HI adjustment on location is the scap circle. Inside pitches the bicep pinch will last longer and appears tighter. The rear elbow does not work as low. Outside pitches as the ball is traveling the elbow keeps working under longer which allows for ball travel longer. Pinch bi loosens a bit durning this, not as strong of a postion. Down and out is effect because it breaks fusion down sooner. If going to debate this with video use a knee high pitch on the corner.
I'll continue to play along. Go on...

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I'm talking fastball. On the breaking pitch, do you think if you attack oppo you can recover and attack the inside seam well enough? I say you will still swing around it.

Well gramps, the two pitches on the right are inside. The top right is fb, the bottom right breaking. You tell me what you see.

Cabrera_96o_94i_85o_80i_sync.gif

Hey gramps, what happens when you are NOT a good steward of the conservation of angular momentum?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
I'm not talking what Miggy can do. Maybe he was looking in. You keep using Miggy, best hitter on the planet. Most of us do not have his ability. You are telling me you would teach everyone the same?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Oh, we're not supposed to teach what the best do? I didn't know the rules had changed. I'll make a note of that.

In the meantime, guys love posting Braun getting caught in between... Check out the swing on the right. It fits a certain narrative nicely, don't you think?
Braun_teetogame.gif

Sep 2, 2013
Well gramps, the two pitches on the right are inside. The top right is fb, the bottom right breaking. You tell me what you see.

Cabrera_96o_94i_85o_80i_sync.gif

Hey gramps, what happens when you are NOT a good steward of the conservation of angular momentum?

I'm not an expert like you. I would have to see the side views. If you can tell he is attacking oppo from the front you are good.

Sep 2, 2013
Oh, we're not supposed to teach what the best do? I didn't know the rules had changed. I'll make a note of that.

In the meantime, guys love posting Braun getting caught in between... Check out the swing on the right. It fits a certain narrative nicely, don't you think?
Braun_teetogame.gif

Not saying that. Not everybody can afford too attack oppo. Most hitters need to protect inside against heat. You must have superior abilities.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I'm not an expert like you. I would have to see the side views. If you can tell he is attacking oppo from the front you are good.
I see. You were pretty adamant about that young hitters head movement after foot plant though. Sorry, I guess I gave you more credit than I should have. Also noted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26