Rope Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2009
I have heard Hitter using the rope and hammer drill. I understand how the hammer is being used but am confused with how he is using the rope. If anyone could elaborate it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2008
Originally Posted by JC heir
Howard, Im not sure where to find the rope concept in " another thread". would you mind giving me a refresher?? Thanks Lane
Lane

Get a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch rope and knot one end and the will be the knob of the bat....have her hold the rope as she would her bat and you stand where the catcher sets up. Hold the rope a little higher than her shoulder and have her load, touch toe and separate the hands rearward a little and then apply a little tension. Did she even separate her hands rearward or did you have to remind her to do it? Tell her to remember it is just like throwing, as we separate our ball hand to throw however with both hands on the bat the lead hand prevents the hands from going much past the back shoulder and that is good. Now as her to start her swing slowly and observe where the hands are actually being moved, over or towards the plate, at the ball or inside the path of the ball. We have a ball on a tee and it is set to hit the ball up the middle. Then point out where her hands are and correct the direction first. Now repeat and this time focus on what the lead elbow and back elbow are doing. Did the lead elbow make a good first move by going for about 2 to 4 inches or did it just go up? Did the back elbow lower into the slot, pivot downward or did the top hand get ahead of the elbow or push the rope forward? Explain we want the top hand positioned exactly over the elbow or what we term staying strong on the back side. We have noticed that if the shoulders are not turning as the elbow is lowering they tend to be too linear in their hand path. Right or wrong we want them to picture in their mind that the clavicle notch a V shaped area below the chin where the neck starts from is what we term our third eye and want them to turn it as they are tracking the ball and the elbows are working as a unit or team and to pull the rope inside the path of the ball. It is a learning point for her to feel how she got into this position. Explain the elbows are working as a unit and the knob of the bat is leading the elbows or in this case the knotted end of the rope....this is bat lag and she should feel very powerful in this position. Another teaching point is we often hear keep the elbow close to the hip, try it your self, and have her move her elbow closer and her mechanical advantage is gone and you and her both will feel the difference. The upper body mass of the female is usually larger or thicker than the male and combine the with wider hips the females elbow MUST clear her body. Make sure her hands are away from her body/ shoulder far enough when she sets up. We try to make it simple, measure off from the plate and get your stance width, bend at the waist, soften the knees get a good two eyed and tap the back of your helmet where the pony tail comes out in some helmets. That does not mean the top of the head or at the neck. This sets up a bat angle of about 45 degrees and the bat is angled slightly towards the pitcher. Repeat again and see if it goes smoother each time. Look for the turn and tilt to show some remarkable improvement. Now have her use her bat and very, very slowly load, toe touch and bend the knee a little, separate the hands rearward slightly start the elbows and get to bat lag and using the wrist flip the ball into the net releasing the barrel to the ball with her wrist. Then have her use a little more momentum and hit it harder and harder building the on the feeling she had when she used the rope. I will be very interested to see the before and after and your comments.

Thanks Howard
is this what you are looking for?

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Howard's description includes:

"Did she even separate her hands rearward or did you have to remind her to do it? Tell her to remember it is just like throwing, "

For MLB pattern as discussed before, the type of throwing it resembles is what I call "short arm" throwing.

"Short arming" is often also used to describe a flawed disconnected push throw, so this is admittedly confusing.

Short strong high level whipping throws as with catcher throwing runner out at second can be quickened by keeping the angle at the back elbow at about 90 degrees.

Longer throws, such as outfield, involve extension at the back elbow to a much wider angle after handbreak, but in all high level whipping overhand throws, the angle at the back elbow has to get back to about 90 degrees (getting much narrower is a flaw -prevented by the "throwmax device for example) for efficient rapid acceleration mechanics since this creates an efficient lever arm for INternal rotation of the back arm which is the primary action of the "rapid acceleration? phase of the throw.

A quick throw in the whip pattern omits the extension and then getting back to a right angle at the back elbow.

In the high level MLB swing pattern, you also want a quick/short action which usually means avoiding extension at the back elbow wider than about a right angle as a part of the hands loading back. Many MLB hitters are /stay much narrower, like Pujols. You then want to retain this back elbow angle whatever it is as the swing proceeds until after the hips and hands fire (keep hands in).

For a short quick swing do not separate the hands rearward by too much extension at the back elbow.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Tom,
I dont understand either, but please doint try to explain more i heard enough. Tom you are trying to undermine the teachings of Howard, I have used Howards drills on the girls that i work with and have seen great results. Howard has worked with the best female hitters in the world. Howard has also worked with Don Slaught and talked hitting with coach Candrea.
I feel when Howard writes to this forum we should pay attention to what he is saying. I ask myself who am i going to follow as to direction on how to get the best possible swing, a person who has worked with the best hitters in the world or a person who is believed to have no students.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
usually these updated software forums have an ignore feature. give that a try.

straightleg what specifically are you asking ?

The main point in the MLB swing pattern as shown in the guerrero clips is that the rearward move of the hands should NOT be by extension at the back elbow.

with regard to throwing in the high level (best model is Nyman buggy whip) pattern, max quickness of throw involves keeping the back elbow at about 90 degrees, shortening the action by omitting extension beyond this at the back elbow after handbreak.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I have heard Hitter using the rope and hammer drill. I understand how the hammer is being used but am confused with how he is using the rope. If anyone could elaborate it would be very helpful. Thanks.

The rope allows you to have control of what the hitter feels during the swing it self. Feeling is a huge thing. With a bat it is difficult to hold it other than at bat lag to get them to feel what is happening from stance to contact. Again by them holding the rope as if it is a bat and I prefer using a rope with a bat handle on it, and apply a little tension and look for where the hands went, over the plate, inside the path of the ball. Did the elbows become disconnected, was the knob leading the elbows and finally did the knob get far enough forward with the lead elbow some what flexed and YES you can get them to feel that. Next is she should feel strong at bat lag and you should be able to feel it also if you are holding the other end of the rope. Now have her move her back elbow in closer to her hip and YOU will feel she has less power.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck