Roll call......16U ASA Nationals in Salem, VA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
I know ASA/USA isn't PGF. Doesn't have the college coaches. Doesn't have the best California teams. But there has to be something said for surviving a 136 team field.
I hate to say it, but the 136-team field isn't much of a factor for the really strong contenders that go deep in the winner's bracket - it's only 1 more game against a team much weaker than them. The tournament is really just getting started for many of them. It's a shame yesterday's weather forced them to shorten games to 5 innings because that hurts the better teams.

There is a huge spectrum of softball teams and opportunities for them to compete. I tip my hat to all the teams that played in an event with an appropriate level of competition for them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What's the report from Salem? Have you heard anything about 14A in Cal?

I saw @ 20 college coaches this week in Salem, VA for 16U ASA Nationals, but they were not concentrated in one spot and most games I saw had one or two coaches at most.

Mar 26, 2013
Salem's website lists 72 colleges (click here), which is way down from what 16A used to draw several years ago.

I suspect a lot of D-I schools were running on empty early this week on their evaluation days. They got a fresh 50 on Aug 1.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
There are teams I know of who placed higher at the PGF in CA just recently, than has placed at this ASA Tourney.

72 colleges are pretty good. the ASA folks are top shelf and especially should be congratulated for putting on a fantastic tourney much more accessable by the fact of 136 teams in VA.

One day, and very soon, because recent results show it plainly for those who watch (not those sucking up to old school) ... That super high level softball does not only exist in CA, AZ, and TX.

But when looking at the supposedly best HS rankings from the most prominent news ogres for this ... It is populated by teams from these regions.

they will come around. And probably gain readership in the process. so far I am waiting ...

Last edited:

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
The competition was good, it was good to see all the Midwest teams going deep. We ended up t33, how did your kids fair?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We went 5-3 for the week, including two practice games at Virginia Tech on Sunday and pool play. Problem was we went 2-2 in bracket play and lost our first bracket game which is never good.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd