Roll call......16U ASA Nationals in Salem, VA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Can a team play both

I am not aware of any rule preventing a team from doing both, but the question becomes....why would a team want to do both? It would be back-to-back weeks and not enough college coach exposure to justify the time/cost/effort IMHO.

Mar 26, 2013
ASA does not allow teams or players to play in multiple national championship finals in the same division (i.e. Girls Fast Pitch). ASA does allow teams to keep a Class A berth while trying to qualify for a Gold berth, but they lose the Class A berth if they qualify for Gold (Article 313 - B Eligible Teams, Note #2).

Some teams will play nationals in different sanctions (e.g. PGF & ASA) if the schedules allow it.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
FWIW - GA Teams that went to PGF averaged 15+ college coaches per game. GA team at 16U Gold said they saw 4 college coaches the entire time they were there......

100% agree with this^^^ We just returned from Cali and it was standing room only for college coaches. TCS Nationals in Georgia the week before didn't even have coach depth that Cali had but did have a respectable showing.
We played the Vipers and Georgia Elite there JAD.... Some serious home cooking by the umps... It's good to be the home team:)

Sep 18, 2011
I know ASA/USA isn't PGF. Doesn't have the college coaches. Doesn't have the best California teams. But there has to be something said for surviving a 136 team field.

May 18, 2013
Richmond, VA
PGF has taken over as far as college exposure and the most prestige is concerned but the ASA Nationals still afford some very good competition if you don't make it to PGFs. I have noticed there are a number of teams that played in PGF 16s that are also playing ASA in Salem, I assume for the competition but more for the accolades if they can win it. The 16u ASA Gold and PGF Nationals were the same week and I can assure you there were a ton more colleges at PGF than ASA (my DD played in 16u Premier this year and said there were at least 25 schools at "1" of their games and lots of schools there overall). Last year she played ASA 18u Gold and there were very few D1 schools in attendance period. The colleges only have so much resources so they have to put their eggs in the best basket where the "perceived" best talent is playing. PGF is smart as they paired 14s & 16s the same week and 12s and 18s this week as there are fewer major D1 schools looking at 18s. ASA Gold had 16s and 18s the same week.

And yes, 29Dad, there IS definitely something to be proud of if you do well in ASA, no doubt about it!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
I know ASA/USA isn't PGF. Doesn't have the college coaches. Doesn't have the best California teams. But there has to be something said for surviving a 136 team field.
You forgot to mention the weather... Today's 8am games were played last night and your 10am game was pushed back to 4pm.

Don't get ahead of yourself - your 2 bracket wins have only clinched a top-48 finish. Your next opponent will likely be more formidable than the last 2, so your DD's team shouldn't underestimate them. Good luck!

Sep 18, 2011
You forgot to mention the weather... Today's 8am games were played last night and your 10am game was pushed back to 4pm.

Don't get ahead of yourself - your 2 bracket wins have only clinched a top-48 finish. Your next opponent will likely be more formidable than the last 2, so your DD's team shouldn't underestimate them. Good luck!

Yes, how could I forget the weather!!

If I made it sound like I was referencing DD's team, I apologize profusely!! We haven't done anything yet. I was just referencing how hard it is for ANYONE to survive all those games with all those teams. Meaning whoever ends up on top. I assure you it would take nothing short of a miracle for us to finish in the top 20!

Mar 26, 2013
FWIW - GA Teams that went to PGF averaged 15+ college coaches per game. GA team at 16U Gold said they saw 4 college coaches the entire time they were there......
What's the report from Salem? Have you heard anything about 14A in Cal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207