Role Models

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2017
While playing at Long Beach State in my senior year 1987 was approached with the opportunity to become the assistant coach in the following year. Over the years, while playing, I had some exotic hairstyles including a very short crew cut. To accept the position I was told I had to grow my hair out.
My choices were~
Hair of my choice.
Or
D1 Coaching position.

After reflecting on my representation of Long Beach State and my teammates on the field. And the awards I had received. I was a bit annoyed they told me I would have to grow my hair out to be able to coach. Some of my friends told me don't do it. Don't change who you are. What I decided was to continue being who I am and be flexible with my hair. I decided to continue representing Long Beach State and be the same colorful character with heart, determination and intensity that I have always been. Perhaps I was part with other Female Coaches who paved the way for other people to recognize you don't have to wear makeup, you don't have to have long hair,
to be a Division 1 coach. I'm very happy to look back and reflect that I made the decision to grow my hair out a little bit for others to be more comfortable.
It has been my experience in life watching how our society accepts change is not always easy.
What i have found is....
Being a positive example of diversity is leading the way!!
View attachment 18409
1985 sophomore year
( the color is Cherry Cola :) )
RADcatcher,
I think what you did was admirable. You decided to bend a little so that others could benefit from your knowledge. You could have been hardcore; my way or the highway, but in life very few of us have the abilty financially to do that. Kudos to you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Anyone who is heartbroken, disgusted, or otherwise harmed by a tweet, statement, word, flag or statue has serious issues. They need to get help from a qualified mental health professional.
When did we as a culture become so thinned skinned? Mel Brooks would be unable to make a movie today.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA