ROE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
So DD has a knack for getting on base on errors. This past weekend she got on 3 times from errors. It sucks because it's not a hit and affects her BA but good for the team as she is another runner and ends up scoring a lot because of it.

All of her ROE are usually a dinky hit to SS and either a misfielded ball or bad throw and she winds up safe. She usually has a lot of RBIs because of this unless it should have been the 3rd out. I just wasn't sure if there were any stats where ROE would be a good thing. Her coach continued to bat her lead-off in 4/5 of her games this weekend (she batted 3rd in the first game) so I guess she sees something in her to keep batting her. But she doesn't have a really good BA at all :(

I still think a ROE is better than a strikeout because you are putting the ball in play and making the defense make a play. Thoughts?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My friends dd had similar batting experiences. She would hit to strange challenging places on the field. Hard for defense caused errors.
Her on base avg. was in the .600's.
She was always in the line up.
Because she puts the ball in play and makes things happen!
She became a D3 player.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
@nixxy311 you have hit one of many reasons why AVG is a less than ideal metric!

ROE is a good thing. It tells you that the player puts pressure on the defense and is successful reaching base. This could be because the player hits the ball hard and/or can run.

If two players are equal in AVG but one has more ROE, one is more valuable than the other, at least until the level of competition changes.

OBP tells you why your coach keeps her in the lead off spot. It doesn’t matter how she gets on base if she is getting on base.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So DD has a knack for getting on base on errors. This past weekend she got on 3 times from errors. It sucks because it's not a hit and affects her BA but good for the team as she is another runner and ends up scoring a lot because of it.

All of her ROE are usually a dinky hit to SS and either a misfielded ball or bad throw and she winds up safe. She usually has a lot of RBIs because of this unless it should have been the 3rd out. I just wasn't sure if there were any stats where ROE would be a good thing. Her coach continued to bat her lead-off in 4/5 of her games this weekend (she batted 3rd in the first game) so I guess she sees something in her to keep batting her. But she doesn't have a really good BA at all :(

At the highest levels, ROE is a skill. I imagine it's less skill-based as you go down in level (and bad defenders are more prevalent), but unless we're talking a very, very poor quality of play, it's probably always something of a skill. It's also why looking solely (or even primarily) at batting average is a bad idea.

I don't really track ROE closely for my team (I could tell you who tends to benefit from it the most), but I probably should.

I still think a ROE is better than a strikeout because you are putting the ball in play and making the defense make a play. Thoughts?

Nobody anywhere thinks a strikeout is better than getting on base.

Oct 4, 2018
You're good.

As your competition gets better, ROEs will turn into outs. And that won't be good. But that gives you a long window to improve her swing before that happens. She's making contact, which is huge.

You're good.

She's not 18U, right? :p

Apr 28, 2014
If you hit the ball hard sometimes good things happen. I do agree that the older and better the competitors the less errors you will see.
That said reaching is helping the team

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
You're good.

As your competition gets better, ROEs will turn into outs. And that won't be good. But that gives you a long window to improve her swing before that happens. She's making contact, which is huge.

You're good.

She's not 18U, right? :p
She's 16U but one of the teams that committed an error was 18U ;)

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
At the highest levels, ROE is a skill. I imagine it's less skill-based as you go down in level (and bad defenders are more prevalent), but unless we're talking a very, very poor quality of play, it's probably always something of a skill. It's also why looking solely (or even primarily) at batting average is a bad idea.

I don't really track ROE closely for my team (I could tell you who tends to benefit from it the most), but I probably should.

Nobody anywhere thinks a strikeout is better than getting on base.
Are dropped thirds considered an error on catcher (passed ball) or pitcher (wild pitch) - I've never really looked to see what kind of stat it gives. And even in 16U/18U you still have catchers not remembering the rules - since we still have the throw downs with someone on 1st (not 3rd out) and the runner gets to second on it. The time a strike out can be useful when it does result in an out ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06