Rocker step - why left foot in front?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2010
Everywhere I look I see that the Rocker step is taught with the left foot in front.

It would seem that putting the left foot in front would cause the runner to have to look over her left shoulder and possibly twist her body to get a good look at the pitcher. With her right leg in front, she would not have to look over her shoulder and not have to worry about twisting her body so her head, hips and arms are in a good starting position.

Or am I overthinking this?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For a righty the left leg is the dominate leg, runner should get a better push off.

I also like the batter behind the base, if they start with the right foot they will be in front of the base.

Sep 14, 2010
For a righty the left leg is the dominate leg, runner should get a better push off.

I also like the batter behind the base, if they start with the right foot they will be in front of the base.

Thank you for the reply. Just curious, why do you prefer the runner behind the base?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Thank you for the reply. Just curious, why do you prefer the batter {sic runner} behind the base?

If the first step foot of the runner is from behind the base there is a much smaller chance of being called out for leaving the base early.

Apr 1, 2010
And for third base, don't you want the runner to be on the outside of the bag so they'll be sure to be in foul territory when they lead off? IMO, since you want the left forward in the rocker step at third, it's just easier for the runner to get used to having the same foot forward on every bag.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I could be wrong about this but I always assumed it wasto give a runner a better view after taking the first step. See if I can explain this right.What I am thinking is that when the right foot lands runner is in a better body position to see the play(assuming play is in the infield) as she decides to run or return to the base. She will already be facing home and doesn't have to turn her back to the play to return. I hope that makes sense(it does in my mind;))

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When I ran track in high school, they had us determine which leg was in front and which was in back as it is a personal preference thing.
each leg does something different, one predominantly pushes off while the other mostly kicks forward with a blast of energy.

Sep 14, 2010
Interesting. Thanks everyone who has responded. Sounds like overthinking on my part (not surprising). Just let them put the leg that is most comfortable in front and go.

Sep 14, 2011
How about this??? Since the lead needs to end with the right foot furthest from the bag, starting with the right foot on the base means that you can either take a two step lead, or a four step lead. Two is too short, and four steps might just be too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32