Riseball location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
My daughter is generally an east/west pitcher and does a great job hitting the corners (green on the plate) She is working on her riseball in practice with me, and I want to make sure she gets her spots down correctly. It seems to me that is not a corner pitch. The ides is to make it look juicy to induce a swing. It is more of a yellow zone pitch just out of the top of the zone. But I am just pulling that idea out of the air and am looking for input.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
0-2 and DD will be throwing a rise in the eyes. Deeper into the count she might be throwing a low rise in the zone.

Jul 22, 2015
My daughter is generally an east/west pitcher and does a great job hitting the corners (green on the plate) She is working on her riseball in practice with me, and I want to make sure she gets her spots down correctly. It seems to me that is not a corner pitch. The ides is to make it look juicy to induce a swing. It is more of a yellow zone pitch just out of the top of the zone. But I am just pulling that idea out of the air and am looking for input.
A GOOD rise can be thrown pretty much anywhere and the really good riseball pitchers typically throw it on 3 levels, starting about knee/thigh and all the way up to shoulders or eyes. I do like to use it as you described, especially with my pitchers who don't have a great rise but use it to set up other pitches or try to get a cheap 3rd strike.

Feb 25, 2020
Riseball is the equivalent of a 4 seam fastball in baseball. This is a cool video of how dominant a good "fastball"(softball riseball) can be.

Edit: sorry my point is if you have a good one you can throw it anywhere! Haha. Even right down the middle on mike trout

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
PC always says aim for the right ear for the person on the bucket. But I would think pretty much anywhere is a good spot for a real riseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Once a pitcher has control, even wild and bad control,
forcing batters to make more adjustments is better.

If you chose to throw pitches in the middle of the plate high or low. That is only one adjustment for the batter.

Chosing to only use the edges east/west with high/low adds an additional adjustments.

Personally prefer NEVER throwing directly over the center or middle of the plate.

Over the plate is fat!
Especially if it doesnt move as intended.
Especially to hitters who want to crush high/low pitches.

BLB

May 19, 2008
High for show, low for dough. If they keep swinging at pitches outside the strike zone, keep using that pitch for strikes. As for a real riseball, you should be able to throw it both high for possible swing & miss or to induce pop-ups as well as low at the knees. If you can only throw it for balls, smart hitters will not swing at it. In general, high & in combined with low & away is a good diagonal contrast to use until you know something about the hitter. Of course a hitter's stance can change this approach.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Depends on how you set it up, or use it to set up. I’ve seen great sequences at various locations. Here’s two favorites:
-inside at the knees after two drops
-2 up in the zone followed by a drop on the same initial trajectory, but dropping in to the zone for a strikeout.

Once you have the ball spinning well, you’ll be surprised at what you can get away with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06