Rise Ball and IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Rick,

I think a lot of people have the grip with ALL fingers on the tape, can you explain why both these grips do not have the fingers perfectly alarmed with the tape? through experimentation DD has gravitated to a grip that looks more like yours but for a long time she was throwing with all fingers on the tape. I would
Love to understand why this works better but while I see it working better I can't quite figure out why.

Rick,

I think a lot of people have the grip with ALL fingers on the tape, can you explain why both these grips do not have the fingers perfectly alarmed with the tape? through experimentation DD has gravitated to a grip that looks more like yours but for a long time she was throwing with all fingers on the tape. I would
Love to understand why this works better but while I see it working better I can't quite figure out why.

JJ
Couple reasons;
1. My preference is that the side of the finger is laying up against the hump of a seam to aid in the energy transfer into the ball (vs. finger on the smooth surface or even on top of a seam).......kind of like why I like to have a slight toe hole in the front of the pitching rubber...something to push against.
2. The contour of the seams should allow you to adjust your fingers to find the best seam orientation for your particular release action. Although the seams aren't one of the biggest factors relative to ball movement.....on a riseball you better take every advantage possible.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
through experimentation DD has gravitated to a grip

I'd say you answered your own question with this statement. This is the key to any spin. Play, experiment, get feedback and feel what works best. Love to hear your DD is on this path. When a kid gets invested in their craft and starts to experiment and study--that's when the game gets REALLY fun!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is the riseball grip Rick Pauly had my pitching student M (Miss Long Fingers) use. Looks like the "Pauly" grip (not to be confused with Poligrip). She's doing quite well with it. And, when she started learning pitching, she started of with IR. She now prefers to throw backspin pitches.

I don't know why this ended up a huge photo here

M riseball grip (2).jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2014

This is where it gets funny with IR. Boardmember is throwing the rise, spinning on 4 seams, but his grip is a 2 seam grip.

Hand on top of the ball, push down/pull up type pitchers, the grip is the same as the spin. If they grip 4 seams, fingers across the C, it spins 4 seams etc.

IR, fingers across the C, 4 seam grip, the ball spins with 2 seams.

I only beat on this because DD PC is trying to get DD more comfortable with the 2 seam grip. She is more accurate with 2 seam grip as the ball does not move as much, but DD likes the 4 seam because it is all she has known in her whopping one year of pitching. :)

To add to the riseball conversation, DD PC recently pitched against a player in an adult fastpitch league that was known for her riseball in college. She would come to her release point with the hand more behind the ball than underneath it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
To add to the riseball conversation, DD PC recently pitched against a player in an adult fastpitch league that was known for her riseball in college. She would come to her release point with the hand more behind the ball than underneath it.

Are either of those pitchers a coach of a 12U team?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi