Rise Ball and IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2013
I do understand IR is more than Palm down at finish and yes I am probably focusing too much on that. I am trying to force every detail I read about IR into a rise ball pitch. I am hearing and understanding now that Palm down is not absolutely necessary for IR mechanics, especially for a rise ball.

Feb 24, 2013
Can you describe the motion you are comparing it to? There really are not that many options, either the hand is outside, on top of, inside or under a ball at release or some combination of adjacent positions. Outside and on top are NON I/R positions, under and inside are I/R positions. I can't even imagine how you would get any semblance of backspin if you were on top of, or outside of, the ball.

I am speaking about follow thru more than anything. I am thinking about cutting under the ball at release, Palm up of course, and then following thru after that. It seems unnatural to follow thru a rise ball with ending up Palm down.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
2d0fgc5.gif

Hey I re-posted he link... hope you don't mind.

Nov 7, 2014
maybe do not think so much palm down as you do palm in toward the body the down happens later. when I throw it my index finger almost points straight at the catcher right after release and then turns over with it still pointed at the catcher. I am no means a pitcher but for some reason I throw it a lot better than a Drop ball

Just read 2020, that seems like the way I will teach my daughter. Just seems to tough to throw a rise ball and end up Palm down.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
For younger pitchers who have devoloped a fair amount of muscle memory in learning IR and whip, who's arm and hand rotate downward after releasing the ball, learning a rise is very difficult. The riseball requires that the palm be oriented towards 3rd at release, and no rotation to a forward palm..... If any forward rotation of the palm happens before the release, you will at best get a bullet spin. It's imperative that you lead the release with the pinky finger, keeping an open palm, and getting under the ball to get anything resembling a back spinning pitch.
Do not rotate the shoulder into a forward facing palm. Do be sure to keep the arm long and loose and always lead the downward pull with the elbows. Whip and IR are closely related, but not the same. Do not confused them.

Last edited:
I think Coach James has nailed it pretty good. This video should give a decent comparison of the rise and drop.....very interesting to see the initial follow through after release....kind of explains how the design of the shoulder/elbow/wrist joints encourage I/R.

[video]https://youtu.be/r81Klz-3LIs[/video]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi