Right-handed power hitter hurts front shoulder after follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
I need help/advice. I coach HS Varsity and my ACE pitcher (going D2) and lead-off hitter was at the plate yesterday and after her follow through her front shoulder was injured as she came around in the follow through of her swing (she hit the ball foul directly behind her) and immediately collapsed in pain. She was in severe pain for several minutes. This is not her pitching arm by the way. As coaches, we have noticed several things (she is a very powerful hitter, strong girl, and usually hits very consistently) but we have noticed she seems to load too early and almost has too much of a weight transfer from negative to positive. I don't know if this is what is the cause of the injury or not, but it seems to us that she tends to throw in too much weight in her arms and upper body too soon and not enough of her swing and rotation of hips seem to be in sync as they should be. She often ends up off balance and her back foot turns inward after her swing rotation (and her ankle and foot roll over too much at times).At times, it seems obvious what she needs to fix, but I think my biggest concern is how to fix her load (she said her college coach said she needs to stop loading) obviously she needs a little bit of a load from negative to positive but it does seem she loads way too much weight back and then comes forward too strong. She has super quick hands and has trouble waiting for the ball to get in her zone sometimes too. I want to find a way to prevent her shoulder from bearing what seems to be an over swing and too much contraction from her transfer. Please let me know if you have any experience or ideas! (the athletic trainer thinks its a pulled rotator cuff and she should be fine with rest and ice, it is rare for young athletes to tear a rotator cuff as well.) My player said she is really sore still today but doing exercises and icing. PLEASE HELP me help this wonderful kid with a bright future.

Oct 10, 2011
swing

Katherine, pm me if you would like to talk on the phone. I think can help as I am familiar with this nice young lady. I have seen video. Thx

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2009
I need help/advice. I coach HS Varsity and my ACE pitcher (going D2) and lead-off hitter was at the plate yesterday and after her follow through her front shoulder was injured as she came around in the follow through of her swing (she hit the ball foul directly behind her) and immediately collapsed in pain. She was in severe pain for several minutes. This is not her pitching arm by the way. As coaches, we have noticed several things (she is a very powerful hitter, strong girl, and usually hits very consistently) but we have noticed she seems to load too early and almost has too much of a weight transfer from negative to positive. I don't know if this is what is the cause of the injury or not, but it seems to us that she tends to throw in too much weight in her arms and upper body too soon and not enough of her swing and rotation of hips seem to be in sync as they should be. She often ends up off balance and her back foot turns inward after her swing rotation (and her ankle and foot roll over too much at times).At times, it seems obvious what she needs to fix, but I think my biggest concern is how to fix her load (she said her college coach said she needs to stop loading) obviously she needs a little bit of a load from negative to positive but it does seem she loads way too much weight back and then comes forward too strong. She has super quick hands and has trouble waiting for the ball to get in her zone sometimes too. I want to find a way to prevent her shoulder from bearing what seems to be an over swing and too much contraction from her transfer. Please let me know if you have any experience or ideas! (the athletic trainer thinks its a pulled rotator cuff and she should be fine with rest and ice, it is rare for young athletes to tear a rotator cuff as well.) My player said she is really sore still today but doing exercises and icing. PLEASE HELP me help this wonderful kid with a bright future.
My DD struggles with this also.Finally had to quit swinging so hard. Two MRI's showed swelling in the socket. I also would like some input on this matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish