Right bat speeds?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
BM-

Where ya been ?

In golf hitting, I like the sustain the lag feel of hitting.

The "lag" feel is not something that gets released at contact, it is sustained.

In MLB swing, I like Immediate launch and spend. Lag is still sustained through contact, but it is a much quicker/earlier acceleration than in golf.

In both cases, I agree with the TGM theory that with an adequately precise swing/pattern description, mechanics produce feel and feel reproduces mechanics.

Everything is not a unique/one off thing, patterns are the key.

Natural inborn potentials.

That is what does the real teaching and analysis.

the better you understand the attributes of the natural inborn potential patterns and the task/challenge/environment that stimulates their development, the less you interfere with learning.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
One interesting detail is how Williams points the index finger of the top hand at contact."

"What does that mean ?

"I think what it means is he is using that part of the top hand to monitor handle "lag" as opposed to gripping the handle, the actual grip being sustained more by the other fingers, especially 3rd and fourth fingers as described in gold for example."

If you have ever used a hammer do you grip it so tight that you lock the thumb over the index finger? If you do you are bending the nails because you can not hit the nail with a flat surface and you will not hit it as hard or accurately.

The reason most good hitters do not keep the index finger on the bat or it is at least held loosely in the top hand is we want more whipping action and keeping the index finger or thumb over it restricts that whip action and prevents the bat from rotating in the top hand. This reduces bat speed by as much as 2 to 4 MPH.

We call the little finger, ring and social finger grippers and the thumb and index finger balancers...extend your right forearm and hand face up and place your left hand over your right forearm about 7 inches up from your wrist holding it with the left hand palm down over the right forearm.

Now bend/ grip your little finger, ring and social finger like you are gripping something and you feel the muscle activation on both sides of the forearm.

Now repeat and only grip with the index finger and thumb and you will only feel the thumb side of the forearm move just a little. The three fingers we term as grippers share a common tendon and the thumb and index finger we term as balancers.

In my opinion TSW knew this which is why he did not lock the thumb over the index finger. Again understanding what affects bat speed may help you get to the number of frames you want and understanding how to do it is more of the art or science of hitting and being able to explain it like you are talking with a 12 year old helps the parents out asking the questions....in my opinion we have become so scientific in our explanations we forget who it is we are talking to about what USA TODAY claims is the most difficult thing to do in all of sports....hitting a round object with a round object!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06