Review Drill - "Drilling Sequence" (Looks Epstein-ish)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can see how you would be a "fun" coach.

Here is two hitting games, I use during open gyms.

One. is called "HIT THE COACH". the coach stands in catchers gear on one side of the gym. On the other, the girls have a glove and a bat. the get hit a ball, they catch it then they self toss, and try to take out the coach.

The second is "SELF TOSS SOCCER" . Under each hoop (full size basketball court) is a pad, 12 x 8 or so.

One or two girls in front of pad with glove and bat. Self toss and try to hit the ball past the girls, on the other side of gym, into the pad.

Game to five.

I am fun, and hard work, and a real coach.

Most definitely have a purpose of having fun. It's a goal I have on every swing I make.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Eric F. I have all of Bustos's DVD's and I cannot find the Knob to the Ball comment. I have worked with her for many years and I can't recall her every saying that. You are right that would not be part of a high level swing. I think what you are seeing and what she is teaching in the video is what she does in the Matrix drill I sent you. That is not knob to the ball.
Read #5. " We want to direct the knob of the bat inside the path of the ball" More to the quote, but this is what I recall her saying.

Last edited:
R

RayR

In reply to the "drilling position"

I don't think the rear elbow should be pinned to side of the body ever....the only to get the barrel around would be by rotating the shoulders with this position...

The reason it is popular is because a hitter will see increased power doing this compared to an arm swing....

Curious as to what the board guys think about this drill.

This is NOT my DD but I do like some of the things going on in this drill.

Before I attempt this with my DD(She is a 10yr old 02' player) She is 4' 5" weighing about 65 lbs.

I want to see if there are any changes you guys would recommend from this drill.

"Drilling Position" - YouTube

These were from a few weeks ago. I do not know how to post direct link, or slowdown vid, I apologize for that and if someone has a simple video editing program suggestion I can easily download it and begin to utilize.

She played 2 rec leagues*garbage here) and then filled in on this travel team last Fall and then became the 12th girl on the roster last spring season. She has alot to learn and works very hard so any and all advice is viewed with a positive outlook. Thanks in advance.

Game Swing One - Olivia Game Swing 1 - YouTube
Game Swing Two - Olivia Game Swing 2 - YouTube

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
In reply to the "drilling position"

I don't think the rear elbow should be pinned to side of the body ever....the only to get the barrel around would be by rotating the shoulders with this position...

The reason it is popular is because a hitter will see increased power doing this compared to an arm swing....

Hey RayR, Good to see you post. ;)
Per the bold above. In your opinion Is true power achieved? What is sacrificed to achieve this "power"?
Thanks TJ

R

RayR

I would say adjustability is sacrificed...had a hitter a few years back use this technique and hit absolute bombs but also led the team in K's and looked foolish on off speed stuff...

Hey RayR, Good to see you post. ;)
Per the bold above. In your opinion Is true power achieved? What is sacrificed to achieve this "power"?
Thanks TJ

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I would say adjustability is sacrificed...had a hitter a few years back use this technique and hit absolute bombs but also led the team in K's and looked foolish on off speed stuff...

Agreed. So teaching hit with power(solid contact) while maintaining adjustibility should be the goal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG