Reverse Hand Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
What to watch

What is the RHD in the video showing? What should I be focusing on as I watch it?

It is a little difficult to see becasue of the dark clothes and the dark batting glove, but the top hand is reversed, pushing the bat. The drill helps batters achieve extension as stated earlier in the thread. Watch closely and you can see the batter place her top hand (right hand) on the bat "upsdie down"

Jan 28, 2010
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"... I see the "reverse hands" now. Duhhh... She was making such solid contact and so fluid, I did not pick it up.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The top hand drill was a progression of tools and a thought process of how to fix the issue. What we came up first was a two handled bat. I have a welding shop and made a few for Howard, after he came up with the idea. We tested them and the two handed drill was the next step, worked better and was easy to do in a clinic.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I don't have a problem with reversing the top hand, but IMO you don't want the top hand to push.

Chris you are correct as the top hand only serves as a guide and we pull it out of the top hand to teach extension. We do not want them trying to handle a full size bat with one hand and we do not want them choking up either as they do it.

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"... I see the "reverse hands" now. Duhhh... She was making such solid contact and so fluid, I did not pick it up.

Even though she is handicapped with having a Dad like Gerry we have over come that and adopted her....but I still do not get a tax break on her!

She has come a long way only having played in a rec league for several years.

Thanks Howard

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I like the music!

Is she hitting the ball up the middle? If yes (it looks like she is), why is the ball out so far in front? Is the goal of "extension" to have the upper body supply the power and have the arms extended at contact?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Manny hit this ball deeper on the plate and pulled it a long ways. And his arms were not extended at contact. His hands hardly move in relation to his body to contact and release, barely, just before contact. His bat speed was high and he generated a lot of power without pulling his arms, shoulders, or hands.

Mannyoverhead.gif

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Manny hit this ball deeper on the plate and pulled it a long ways. And his arms were not extended at contact. His hands hardly move in relation to his body to contact and release, barely, just before contact. His bat speed was high and he generated a lot of power without pulling his arms, shoulders, or hands.

Mannyoverhead.gif

Manny appears to be set off the plate anticipating an inside pitch.The ball is not hat deep int he box looking at the angle of the ball off the bat in my opinion. His hand moved rearward and how much is up to you and his back elbow came up as his front shoulder came down. How would you know what his bat speed would be and who cares so to speak. No one should be extended at contact in my opinion. Did he get to extension after he hit the ball? Looks pretty good to me. Your point about drills is what is the purpose? The purpose if you work with young girls is they really do not understand what extension is and give up when making contact with the ball in most cases. The hand over allows them to feel what it is like to get to extension.

Thanks Howard

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I know his bat speed was high because this ball got out... way out. The only thing that matters with bat speed is the bat speed at contact. For extension, you can't hit the ball, then hit the ball again after contact. The ball is on the bat for less than 1/1000 of a second. (I've read as little as 1/2000 of a second with a 90 mph fastball and a wood bat.) Everything TO contact matters. Everything after than just happens and will look "right" if everything to contact was correct. I see a lot of instruction on the follow through in an attempt to fix the approach to the ball. IMO, this creates bad habits and a bad approach.

I disagree he is looking in. He did hit a mistake (check the catchers glove moving across the plate.) His hands do not move in relation from when he initiated his swing to just prior to contact. His barrel did go rearward though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC