requred running times for college girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Interesting since running a mile IMO doesn't correlate well to the fast twitch muscle responses and energy bursts needed in softball. The most a player would run at one time would be 240 feet. Athletic conditioning - sure, but maybe
60' sprints to exhaustion would be a better exercise. I'm not an exercise physiologist either.
Yes I agree but apparently they do it just to push the players and to see their overall fitness level. Twice a week they had to do agility and sprints also.
Tomorrow she has her first practice and I heard they will be timing them in the mile, but I heard they don't focus on that much on it later. I also saw some very large girls when I went and there's no way they can run it that fast.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Interesting since running a mile IMO doesn't correlate well to the fast twitch muscle responses and energy bursts needed in softball. The most a player would run at one time would be 240 feet. Athletic conditioning - sure, but maybe 60' sprints to exhaustion would be better.

I'm not an exercise physiologist either.

Believe me, they will get plenty of the fast twitch muscle work. When they are doing speed work and agility work, it can be brutal. BB is now doing some of this 3 times a week to try to change her body. She has changed her lifting as well. Down 20 lbs or more since May. Eating right now as she should have been without the overload of carbs to "bulk her up."

Aug 18, 2016
In my 20's I ran 5K's alot. I would average around 21 1/2 minutes per 5K. That's like 7 minutes and change per mile. I think if a 17 to 20 year old girl just stays in shape, 8 minutes should not be that hard for a mile.

Oct 10, 2011
Believe me, they will get plenty of the fast twitch muscle work. When they are doing speed work and agility work, it can be brutal. BB is now doing some of this 3 times a week to try to change her body. She has changed her lifting as well. Down 20 lbs or more since May. Eating right now as she should have been without the overload of carbs to "bulk her up."

DD had her first practice and all they did was running with a lot of sprints etc... I met some of the players when we were moving them in and a few of the ladies were quite large compared to her. DD said it was the practice was "hard, but good."

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
no offense,,,,but if you cant run a 10 minute mile you should not be on scholarship to a D1 school that has posted a .500 record or better in the past 5 years. That shows little to no work ethic from a player no matter size or position. The days of overweight players getting on the field are dwindling, these high level players are well trained athletes that work very hard at their craft and are physically fit. If you cant run a 10 minute mile, seriously doubt you will make any impact or even last anyway so why waste everyones time???

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
in regards to previous Bustos comment - I bet if anyone ever told her you have to run a certain time or your done she would run the time. She did not become one of if not the best fastpitch hitters to ever play by not working. Then the Lauren Chamberlain comment saying the threshold would be one second slower than whatever she ran,,,,, again, with elite players they work their tails off to become elite so a 10 minute mile is not an issue for them. They attack that like hitting a nasty rise or learning to throw that nasty rise. It is the difference between good, and truly elite in any sport. DRIVE !! If you are a college D1 recruit and cannot run a 1o minute mile,,,,,,you just dont have it

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

I wanted to follow up with this comment. The kid and my wife went out buying new clothes this weekend. She said she is back into the size she wore her sophomore year of college. I know no one will remember, but that was the year that they thought she might go back into the OF. So, she ran and ran and ran ... until she had lost major weight. So, getting back to that size is amazing. In looking at her, you can really tell.

As you all know, the times are different and the speed work/agility is different in many schools due to position and the size of the girls. However, there are some standards that once the measurements are made these first couple of weeks, your dd will have to make. It is percentages of improvement and most strength/conditioning coaches stick to their assigned goals. I know my dd was afraid to not make her assigned goals during the fall.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD had her first practice and all they did was running with a lot of sprints etc... I met some of the players when we were moving them in and a few of the ladies were quite large compared to her. DD said it was the practice was "hard, but good."
Tell your dd to hydrate before and after and cut out the caffeine if she drinks much of it. The wear is on the third day when the muscles start talking back. LOL It seemed to me that BB always commented that kids wanted to really drop out the 3rd day.

Oct 10, 2011
Tell your dd to hydrate before and after and cut out the caffeine if she drinks much of it. The wear is on the third day when the muscles start talking back. LOL It seemed to me that BB always commented that kids wanted to really drop out the 3rd day.
Interesting on the "third day" comment because that's exactly how long a friend of ours son lasted in that programs baseball program... Said he didn't sign up for track LOL.
DD made it through the first week and although she didn't do great on her timed test (just started out way too fast), she said everything else has been going really well. She said they are now just doing sprints and agility along with regular practice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Was talking with a college coach last night and she said that they do not use a mile run for a fitness test since softball emphasizes quick bursts vs. endurance. They use a 300 yard shuttle run to time the girls, and have different standards depending on the player and her position.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00