requred running times for college girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Why would mile times matter?

I'm guessing if you hit like Lauren Chamberlain the mile time required is 1 second above whatever she runs. I could see the conditioning
coach telling HC that we should cut her because she ran mile too slow. I'm also guessing if you can hit the high 60's on your FB that again
how fast you run the mile might be a secondary consideration.

I agree.

I find it curious that mile times should be a primary versus a secondary concern. Certainly all players need to be able to play their positions effectively and to do this, they need to be in good condition, for the most part. And certainly all players should be expected to take strength and conditioning training seriously. But if they work hard and can play their position effectively and can hit the ball, why should their mile time matter?

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I don't think the mile time probably matters as much as the overall fitness benefits and the mental toughness that running towards a goal builds.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Our HS coach requires 8 minute miles from all players. We have one player who is probably 225 pounds, there is no way she runs a mile in 8 minutes. My daughter said the coach just gives her a pass on it. Not sure what the point is of making everybody else do it, but this kid hits bombs so I guess it's OK to not be fit.

Feb 15, 2016
Our HS coach requires 8 minute miles from all players. We have one player who is probably 225 pounds, there is no way she runs a mile in 8 minutes. My daughter said the coach just gives her a pass on it. Not sure what the point is of making everybody else do it, but this kid hits bombs so I guess it's OK to not be fit.

I am not that player's coach, but regardless of her size, I would want her to be working towards improving her fitness, endurance, and speed even if she can't meet the team goal right now. IMlearning said that DD lost 15lbs. How excellent is that? I bet she dropped a bit off her home to first time by shedding a 15lb weight that she had been toting around. That might be worth a few more base hits, she might beat a throw when taking an extra base, and she might have a little extra range on defense. I always stress speed and agility with girls. When the slower girls ask why we work on speed I tell them that I might not be able to make them fast but I can make them faster and that makes the team better.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I am not that player's coach, but regardless of her size, I would want her to be working towards improving her fitness, endurance, and speed even if she can't meet the team goal right now. IMlearning said that DD lost 15lbs. How excellent is that? I bet she dropped a bit off her home to first time by shedding a 15lb weight that she had been toting around. That might be worth a few more base hits, she might beat a throw when taking an extra base, and she might have a little extra range on defense. I always stress speed and agility with girls. When the slower girls ask why we work on speed I tell them that I might not be able to make them fast but I can make them faster and that makes the team better.

I agree. Just not sure how you call it a "requirement" if it's not *really* required. I'm sure Crystl Bustos can't run an 8 minute mile either, but nobody ever kicked her off the team.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
An 8-9 minute standard for a ONE mile run isn't that fast, especially for a college level athlete.

Anyone south of 60 years old in any kind of reasonable shape could accomplish that with a small amount of practice. I would think that a college athlete should have no problem with it.

Oct 10, 2011
DD's reached her goal of 8:30 and told me she weighed in at 20 lbs lighter last week then she did earlier this year. Her biggest issue is her asthma but her HC told her not to worry about the running tests. I think like others have said, if you can hit, you're good to go. Her roommate is over a minute faster, but she unlike DD, hates to weight lift and hasn't done very much this summer.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Don't fret- if she wants to play- she will get in shape-

Every coach has limits and different expectations-let her run for 2 weeks very other day
and only clock the first and the last- you will see a great difference

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
DD has to turn in her mile time each week to her AC as well has talk about her weekly workouts. It got me thinking because they are supposed to reach a certain time. Our friend said that her college coach told her that if they don't make the time, they'd be cut. Maybe that's true but we had a girl go D1 that was over 250 lbs according to her mother and there's no way she could do a mile in what's required. Is this a bluff just to get the girls to get into shape and or maybe a way to get rid of someone if they want too?
BTW...DD's friend failed the first time but an older player told her about an application to set the pace so you don't burn out too early. DD is using it and it has really helped her. Unfortunately it doesn't have anything for the puking after LOL.
(required...sorry for the thread title)

Interesting since running a mile IMO doesn't correlate well to the fast twitch muscle responses and energy bursts needed in softball. The most a player would run at one time would be 240 feet. Athletic conditioning - sure, but maybe 60' sprints to exhaustion would be better.

I'm not an exercise physiologist either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad