requred running times for college girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm guessing if you hit like Lauren Chamberlain the mile time required is 1 second above whatever she runs. I could see the conditioning
coach telling HC that we should cut her because she ran mile too slow. I'm also guessing if you can hit the high 60's on your FB that again
how fast you run the mile might be a secondary consideration.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
would anyone mind sharing their workout schedule from college? DD is waiting but would like to get started with something that resembles a college level workout.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'm in my 40's and don't work out. I could briskly walk that pace backwards. They aren't asking for a sub 5:00 mile. If they start now and walk a mile or two a day and pick the pace up a little each day/week then it should be no problem.

You can walk more then 6 miles an hour? I have long legs and at my best I could walk 4.5 miles an hour. Even just a bit faster and it was a jog.

Oct 10, 2011
Just an update that DD was just timed at 8:35 for the mile on a treadmill with a 2% incline. I made a mistake earlier and put she had to do it in 8:35 but she said it's actually 8:30 for the mile. It's extremely humid out so she didn't go to the track this time. I'm really proud of her progress and since February has also lost 15 lbs with a goal of losing another 5 before school starts...

Oct 10, 2011
would anyone mind sharing their workout schedule from college? DD is waiting but would like to get started with something that resembles a college level workout.
PM me your cell # and I'll text the first part to you... Otherwise, Austin Wasserman's Catcher workout is quite good to use I'd think for any position...

Feb 17, 2014
Did any of your DD's take any sort of advanced PE in HS?

I'm asking because DD's TB coach is the JV coach at another HS in the area. She recommends all of her players take an advanced physical conditioning type PE class when they get to HS.

They have to take regular PE before any advanced PE classes. So, the plan is to take regular PE in the summer before freshmen year so that you can take advanced physical conditioning when school starts.

I'm assuming this will get her ready for the physical demands you guys are talking about. If anything, it will get her used to working out.

Oct 10, 2011

I'm asking because DD's TB coach is the JV coach at another HS in the area. She recommends all of her players take an advanced physical conditioning type PE class when they get to HS.

They have to take regular PE before any advanced PE classes. So, the plan is to take regular PE in the summer before freshmen year so that you can take advanced physical conditioning when school starts.

I'm assuming this will get her ready for the physical demands you guys are talking about. If anything, it will get her used to working out.

She never did anything extra in the high school but has been working with a sports performance company off and on for years. I was actually really concerned with our regular PE class because I knew some of the things they did...like play co-ed ultimate football etc... and wouldn't you know it, she got stepped on by one of our football team's lineman and suffered a severe high ankle sprain right before her freshman tryouts and missed almost the entire season:(

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Yes. My dd took "Athletic PE" which is a plyo/weight class. They used "bigger, faster, stronger" workouts in that class. All weight work and speed work was recorded after a base was set. Then, there were "tests" during the course of the class where improvements were checked by the teacher and not simply recorded by the student. I thought it was very beneficial. They do have a provision that on game days, they won't be measured/tested and they can do a light workout on those days.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

My DD takes advanced PE in HS, and it has been great because it is 7th period and during softball season (Fall in GA) she misses 7th period probably 30% of the time for games, so that works out well. The fact that her softball coach is the instructor is an added bonus....

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Just an update that DD was just timed at 8:35 for the mile on a treadmill with a 2% incline. I made a mistake earlier and put she had to do it in 8:35 but she said it's actually 8:30 for the mile. It's extremely humid out so she didn't go to the track this time. I'm really proud of her progress and since February has also lost 15 lbs with a goal of losing another 5 before school starts...

Nice job! She may just get into the 7's before 1st day of practice. If nothing else, this showed her how to accomplish something that seems unattainable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00