Removing Rocketech flat spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I wonder what would happen to a non-round RT if it was subjected to one of those "bat rollers" that the slow-pitch mens group supposedly uses all the time to make the "hot-rolled-bats"???

I can't help but think that a very strong (metal) roller would help re-round a RT.

Somebody should try this, confirm it, then send me a link to where I can send my DD's that is slowly getting unacceptably non-round.

In fact I think I have a pipe manufacturer across the street that I bet would have a "press" that the RT could be run through to re-round it (given the RT does not have too much memory in its materials...)

Oct 14, 2008
Depending on how large the flat spot is, rotate the bat 90 degrees and hit it there, it will pop small dents and flat spots out. These bats were so thin walled they were ment to be rotated after every hit. Your mileage may vary depending on the size of the flat spot, if it looks like a boat oar, there may be no help for it.

Tim

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Bats with the new ASA 2013 certification mark can only be used in SP. Bats with the 2000 or 2004 certification marks are legal for both FP and SP as long as they are not on the non-approved bat list. The 2013 standard was developed in conjunction with the new SP ball.

Not entirely true.....

The 2013 standard for ASA was developed due to field studies that indicated the average swing speed that was being used to calculate the 2004 standard were not entirely accurate based on actual play. In fact, it was determined that actual average swing speeds were a somewhat lower than had previous been thought. When the bat exit speed formula was recalculated with the new lower swing speeds, bats that would not have passed under the old calculation now would pass. Thus the need for the new 2013 stamp. These field studies were only done for the slowpitch game, that is why the bats with the new stamp were legal in slowpitch only.

ASA also passed a rule change for this year (2014) that bats with the 2013 stamp were now legal for Men's and Boy's fastpitch as well as Men's Modified pitch. Field studies in those games produced similar data as the slowpitch game.

My understanding is that field studies will be conducted this year in the JO and Women's fastpitch games to see if changes are necessary in the bat standards for those games. I believe there is some level of cooperation with NCAA in these studies.

Mar 26, 2013
Not entirely true.....

The 2013 standard for ASA was developed due to field studies that indicated the average swing speed that was being used to calculate the 2004 standard were not entirely accurate based on actual play. In fact, it was determined that actual average swing speeds were a somewhat lower than had previous been thought. When the bat exit speed formula was recalculated with the new lower swing speeds, bats that would not have passed under the old calculation now would pass. Thus the need for the new 2013 stamp. These field studies were only done for the slowpitch game, that is why the bats with the new stamp were legal in slowpitch only.
Doesn't the 2013 test also use a slower ball speed to correspond with the slower swing speed (i.e. 105 mph = 80 swing + 25 pitch)?

ASA also passed a rule change for this year (2014) that bats with the 2013 stamp were now legal for Men's and Boy's fastpitch as well as Men's Modified pitch. Field studies in those games produced similar data as the slowpitch game.
You're right, of course. The ASA webpages I looked at haven't been updated yet to reflect the change.

My understanding is that field studies will be conducted this year in the JO and Women's fastpitch games to see if changes are necessary in the bat standards for those games. I believe there is some level of cooperation with NCAA in these studies.
I think ASA's recalibration raises the issue of using the same standard for both SP and FP. I wonder what basis would lead them to conclude that "changes are necessary" for FP considering the difference in pitch speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad