Removing Rocketech flat spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We had a hitting clinic with Tim Duncan for our Organization. His DD was a huge RT fan and my DD uses the RF. His DD came with him and noticed DD's RF. She told us that to make the bats last, we needed to rotate the barrel after every hit. Whether that will take the dent out or not, I don't know. However, I can see where hitting on the edge of the dent might help remove some of it...sort of like pushing on the edge of the dent in a plastic bottle. It won't remove it all but it might remove enough to pass the ring test.

Mar 26, 2013
Is there a LEGAL way to get a 2005 Rocketech barrel free of a flat spot?
Does the flat spot make it an illegal bat?
- Illegal bat is defined as a bat that does not meet the requirements of an official bat (see Rule 3-1).
- Altered bat is defined as a LEGAL bat that has been changed.

Seems like it would be legal to repair an illegal bat. I'd contact Anderson Bats to see if they would do it or recommend how to do it. They're up in OC and have been very accomodating to people in the past.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Does the flat spot make it an illegal bat?
- Illegal bat is defined as a bat that does not meet the requirements of an official bat (see Rule 3-1).
- Altered bat is defined as a LEGAL bat that has been changed.

A bat has to round in shape, so if a bat is dented, it more than likely will not pass the ring test...so technically illegal even though its not illegal the way most people think of nowadays.

Aug 30, 2011
DE
We had one that was dented, you could only tell by running your hand along it. The ump showed us and threw it out, we asked him to do the ring test, said he didn't have one with him to test it. We found one later and it slid right through the ring no problems. Guess it depends on the day and the ump.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Must be a regional thing - four or five years ago in SoCal we were told in the annual clinics that the ring test is no longer to be used.

Though I dont see the the ring used too often, dont understand why they would say not to use it. I got umps treating DD's bats and helmet like they were props in an old Sampsonite commercial, but apparently we can swing a stick with a larger od without worry

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
We had one that was dented, you could only tell by running your hand along it. The ump showed us and threw it out, we asked him to do the ring test, said he didn't have one with him to test it. We found one later and it slid right through the ring no problems. Guess it depends on the day and the ump.

They are called performance waves...not really dents. Most of the time if its just waves, they will pass the ring. Waves are just slight "warps" and will actually work all around the barrel as you keep hitting and you only can feel with your hand. Dents are not really repairable unless you go into the bat (depending on the bat). And it will just come back anyway on the first hit there because the bat has been weakened at those points. A dented bat usually will not pass the ring.

Nov 14, 2011
Just curious, but is a 2005 model bat still legal to use anyways? I thought they had to have the current USSSA or ASA stamps to be legal for use?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Just curious, but is a 2005 model bat still legal to use anyways? I thought they had to have the current USSSA or ASA stamps to be legal for use?

Yeah, now if it doesn't have the new usssa thumbprint stamp, its not legal for usssa play if umps are checking ;)

I don't believe asa has made anybody go to their new stamp as of yet. I'm not 100% sure for FP, but I know SP hasn't done that yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00