Removing Rocketech flat spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 3-1-A "The official bat shall be free of burs, dents, cracks, sharp edges, and audible rattles and show no signs of excessive wear." "The offical bat shall be smooth and round"

If the bat has a flat spot it is dented and no longer round and is not a legal bat. The bat ring has not been used for a number of years now that I know of.

Mar 26, 2013
Just curious, but is a 2005 model bat still legal to use anyways? I thought they had to have the current USSSA or ASA stamps to be legal for use?

Yeah, now if it doesn't have the new usssa thumbprint stamp, its not legal for usssa play if umps are checking ;)

I don't believe asa has made anybody go to their new stamp as of yet. I'm not 100% sure for FP, but I know SP hasn't done that yet.
Bats with the new ASA 2013 certification mark can only be used in SP. Bats with the 2000 or 2004 certification marks are legal for both FP and SP as long as they are not on the non-approved bat list. The 2013 standard was developed in conjunction with the new SP ball.

Mar 26, 2013
ASA 3-1-A "The official bat shall be free of burs, dents, cracks, sharp edges, and audible rattles and show no signs of excessive wear." "The offical bat shall be smooth and round"

If the bat has a flat spot it is dented and no longer round and is not a legal bat. ...
That's what I expected, but I haven't seen the bat in question...

Also, I recommended OP contact Anderson because they would be able to tell him whether it is really repairable. I suspect it being a double-wall bat complicates the issue.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Bats with the new ASA 2013 certification mark can only be used in SP. Bats with the 2000 or 2004 certification marks are legal for both FP and SP as long as they are not on the non-approved bat list. The 2013 standard was developed in conjunction with the new SP ball.

Thought so...thanks. Didn't want to assume

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I there is a way to make these legal, I would love to know! There is a 2005 RockeTech sitting in our neighborhood Play It Again Sports for $20, but it looks like it was used to pound railroad spikes into the ground:mad:!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I there is a way to make these legal, I would love to know! There is a 2005 RockeTech sitting in our neighborhood Play It Again Sports for $20, but it looks like it was used to pound railroad spikes into the ground:mad:!

They are only illegal if called out :) , But if as bad as you say, it has no chance.

But to make them round again to passing standards..nope. Plus, even if you played with it, it would only dent right back up. It would be like hitting a aluminum can.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles