Release and after Release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Since your DD is pitching in college, the focus is on whether she is "getting batters out".

If your DD throws a good rise, she doesn't need a good DB. Also, control is just if not more important than movement.

If you are trying to get some read from these pictures as to whether she is throwing it correctly, I don't see anything to indicate it is a good drop or a bad drop. You really need to show the entire pitch.

1) You need a video of her fingers at release. At release, the fingers (*NOT THE HAND*) should be either snapping up or doing the "come here" motion. I don't see that in the sequence, but maybe you left it out.

2) You need a video showing how quickly her hand rotates from facing 3B to facing 1B. The quicker the hand rotates, the more spin she puts on the ball.

Here is a video. Riseball is never called....normally curve or fastball. D isn’t a flamethrower, so we have focused more on the drop ball and drop curve....seemed to have worked a lot better than throwing an outside fastball. Her drop curve is thrown at 2 different speeds..worked better since a change up is hardly called.
I thought this was an interesting observation...her drop spin is near perfect with this release. She was struggling at the beginning of the season...was getting a bullet spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
It was recently brought to my attention how pitchers that claimed to throw a rollover drop does that action well after the ball is released.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Looks pretty identical to Sarah's follow-through. (Hmmm....) Based on a very rough, sitting-at-my-desk-experiment, it seems that whatever finger last applied force to the ball would be the one sticking out the most on the follow through, since that one would be more tense than the others that were just along for the ride.
I went to find video of Sarah’s follow through to compare.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Nope... no pulling up or rolling over afterwards. No elbow pointing... no twisting movement... no step taken afterwards. . I like how Pauly referred this as”a natural unloading after a violent release.”
I am just now understanding this concept. Call me slow.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Since your DD is pitching in college, the focus is on whether she is "getting batters out".

If your DD throws a good rise, she doesn't need a good DB. Also, control is just if not more important than movement.

I honestly would not have expected to hear this about the drop! I’d like to hear more as I truly believe a good drop and rise compound/compliment each other.

Also curious about your thoughts on getting batters out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craig052