Regressing with practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2016
If you can figure out a way to make a 12YO focus and can bottle that you'll be a millionaire. Just keep working.

My DD's seen a Tincher coach for the last 2.5 years and is always finding things to do to be better.

Jul 22, 2015
5-7 days a week. 60-90 minutes.
Personal experience, but that would be FAR too much both physically and mentally for my DD. I don't see any reason for more than 4 times/week, and I'd lean more towards 3 good, focused sessions. Obviously, each kid is different but part of the problem may be a lack of focus due to so little recovery time.

Feb 15, 2017
It's different for everyone but that's a lot. How about 4 days per week 50-70 minutes

I would agree that with DD (just turned 13) that this is about her physical and mental tolerance so that we don’t get negative results. She has been like this since she started pitching at 7. We are 3 days a week 45-70 mins depending on how things are going. I have seen the “too tired to focus” in practice and she will NEVER overcome that. I challenge her to throw 2 strikes in a row and then we quit. I have also seen the benefits of “so tired that muscle memory kicks in” which is just like above except its a game situation and the competitive juices take over. Guess there isn’t that “incentive” when its just her and the glove.

In all seriousness I would guess some of your problems to be over working / over thinking. I would suggest videoing sessions and becoming very familiar with how things look when she is throwing well and how they look when she isn’t. I would guess you have been to enough lessons to know some of what to look for. Above all - I would say you have to read your DD and adjust accordingly.

Apr 8, 2019
I would agree that with DD (just turned 13) that this is about her physical and mental tolerance so that we don’t get negative results. She has been like this since she started pitching at 7. We are 3 days a week 45-70 mins depending on how things are going. I have seen the “too tired to focus” in practice and she will NEVER overcome that. I challenge her to throw 2 strikes in a row and then we quit. I have also seen the benefits of “so tired that muscle memory kicks in” which is just like above except its a game situation and the competitive juices take over. Guess there isn’t that “incentive” when its just her and the glove.

In all seriousness I would guess some of your problems to be over working / over thinking. I would suggest videoing sessions and becoming very familiar with how things look when she is throwing well and how they look when she isn’t. I would guess you have been to enough lessons to know some of what to look for. Above all - I would say you have to read your DD and adjust accordingly.
It might be too much. She has been driving all the practice time. She started pitching late and feels she needs to catch up to compete.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My 12yo DD has been working with a Tincher coach we like a lot for 10 months. DD takes practice very seriously, but her performance almost seems random. She will literally throw 13 K shutouts, then throw nothing up uncatchable wild pitches...for several weeks.

It doesn't seem like her practice is building upon anything, and actually might be reinforcing bad habits and making her worse.

Has any one experienced this? Do you have any suggestions to fix it?

Does she have brush interference? Brush interference is absolutely required for consistency.

Apr 8, 2019
Does she have brush interference? Brush interference is absolutely required for consistency.
Interesting point because I don't recall it coming up in coaching sessions. I am very hesitant to misrepresent her coach, but I'm not sure she teaches that, or at least emphasize it.

Apr 28, 2014
At 12 she should be throwing 4-5 days per week with one of those with an instructor. Once every 3-4 weeks is not enough for her to maintain consistency. If she is serious about pitching in HS and beyond she will need to get used to pitching 4-5 days per week. Consistency will come with time. During those 13K days she is probably locked in on one or two pitches and having success. A big part of pitching is confidence and that comes with repetition.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Interesting point because I don't recall it coming up in coaching sessions. I am very hesitant to misrepresent her coach, but I'm not sure she teaches that, or at least emphasize it.

She needs to have her arm brush her hip. Stand behind her and look for the contact. Check her posture, make sure she is standing up straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott